IDG News Service - Mich Mathews, head of Microsoft marketing, has stepped down after 18 years of employment, the trade paper Ad Age reported Wednesday.
She plans to leave within the next five months and will help Microsoft's Chief Operating Officer Kevin Turner and CEO Steve Ballmer find her replacement.
"Frankly it's time to do something new," she told the trade paper.
As the senior vice president for the Microsoft's Central Marketing Group, Mathews managed the company's marketing efforts, overseeing the company's branding, advertising, public relations, research, events, packaging, relationship marketing and internal communications functions.
Mathews worked up through the ranks of Microsoft's communication team. She began consulting for the company's U.K. branch in 1989, and joined the company in 1993, to lead corporate public relations. In 2009, Ad Age included her in a compilation of the world's most influential marketing executives, citing her work with the Bing search engine and the "I'm a PC" ad campaign.
Microsoft did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.