Yahoo introduces Search Direct to speed up query resolution
IDG News Service - Yahoo has started beta testing a search feature that displays answers to queries and links to websites on the fly as people type their queries.
Yahoo officials said that Search Direct is proof that the company is still very much a player in the search market and an innovator in this space, despite its search partnership with Microsoft.
"Search is incredibly important," said Blake Irving, Yahoo's chief product officer, during a press conference. "Search matters to customers and it matters to us."
Search Direct is a great example of how Yahoo has been able to focus on the search user experience while relying on Microsoft for back-end functions, like website crawling and indexing, Irving said.
With Search Direct, users get query results as they type, without having to finish the query, hit enter or scan the results page, according to Yahoo.
In conjunction with the feature's speed, Yahoo believes that Search Direct will attract the attention of end users and boost usage of its search engine.
"It's a super-powerful results set," Irving said.
Yahoo created a separate search platform for Search Direct, including its own index and algorithms.
The feature is similar to Google's Instant, although Yahoo officials on Wednesday said that theirs delivers more direct answers. Also, Google Instant doesn't respond necessarily to every keystroke and it repaints the entire search results page, whereas Search Direct responds to every character typed and its interface is more compact
Search Direct takes Yahoo further along the path of shifting the focus of its search services away from the conventional list of result links and toward providing direct answers, officials said.
Still to be determined is how Yahoo will integrate ads into Search Direct. For now, Search Direct is available only in the U.S., but a rollout abroad is planned for later this year.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Internet Search White Papers | Webcasts