IDG News Service - Apple sued Amazon.com on Friday, claiming rights to the name App Store, which Amazon tagged on its new application store.
The creator of the iPhones and iPads that made apps popular among smartphone and tablet users worldwide filed the lawsuit in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.
Apple accuses Amazon of infringing its rights to the name, the Wall Street Journal Reports, and Apple has asked the court for an injunction prohibiting Amazon from using the name as well as unspecified damages.
Mary Osako, a spokesperson for Amazon, said her company has a long standing practice of not commenting on pending litigation.
Apple did not return phone messages or emails seeking comment.
The term in question, 'App Store,' which Amazon has rendered as Appstore for its new application store, appears on a list of service marks Apple has on its website. Service marks are similar to trademarks but apply to services, while trademarks apply to goods.
Amazon plans to initially open the Appstore as a place to sell apps designed for Google's Android mobile OS, the biggest rival to Apple.
Apple's global share of application store revenue fell to 82.7% last year from 92.8% a year earlier, according to market researcher IHS Screen Digest, while Android Market, which saw revenue soar 861.5% year-on-year in 2010, took a 4.7% share.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Legal White Papers | Webcasts