Man charged with hiring pump-and-dump spam botnet
IDG News Service - A Texas man was charged Monday by the U.S. Department of Justice with helping to inflate the prices of penny stock companies by promoting them with a spam-spewing botnet of hacked computers.
Christopher Rad, of Cedar Park, Texas, faces a maximum sentence of five years in prison and a $250,000 fine on charges that he acted as a middleman between unscrupulous stock promoters and Russian hackers, who operated the botnet.
Rad allegedly worked with another man, James Bragg, to make the companies' stock-prices move in a scheme that ran between November 2007 and February 2009. In October 2010, Bragg pleaded guilty to his role in the scheme. No date has been set for his sentencing.
Prosecutors say that the two men promoted penny stocks for now-defunct companies such as RSUV (Remote Surveillance Technologies) and VSHE ( VShield Software). They did this not only by using the botnet to spam would-be investors, but also by having their Russian hackers take over brokerage accounts and purchase the stocks they were pumping, so it would look like the companies had market momentum.
A Russian hacker identified only as "B.T." and another alleged botnet-provider called "D.S." are also named in court filings. Neither has been arrested.
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- Cybersecurity Imperatives: Reinvent your Network Security The Rise of CyberSecurity
- Surescripts Case Study- Securing Keys and Certificates Surescripts implemented Venafi's Trust Protection Platform™ to secure digital keys and certificates, ensure the privacy and confidentiality of electronic clinical information for its...
- Ponemon 2014 SSH Security Vulnerability Report According to research by the Ponemon Institute, 3 out of 4 enterprises have no security controls in place for SSH which leaves organizations...
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities.
- Deep Dive into Advanced Networking and Security with Hybrid Cloud Security and networking are among the top concerns when moving workloads to the cloud. VMware vCloud® Hybrid Service™ enables you to extend your... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!