InfoWorld - People mean a lot of things when they talk about "the cloud," but if you want to know where the revenue is going, look no further than SaaS (software as a service). Salesforce leads the SaaS pack with $2 billion in revenue for its latest fiscal year. NetSuite pulled in just a tenth of that for FY2010, but in some ways it's a more ambitious player, because it offers ERP as a service -- a core enterprise software category that, in the past, has been last on the list to trust to the cloud.
Zach Nelson, CEO of NetSuite, thinks that reluctance has been replaced by enthusiasm for the quick deployment, continuous innovation, and low maintenance of SaaS. A former executive at Oracle, Sun Microsystems, and Network Associates, Nelson joined NetSuite as CEO in 2002. Between then and now he has witnessed the industry's long, slow ramp-up to today's feverish interest in all things cloud -- an environment he sees as ripe to capture a new wave of customers.
Last month, as part of our ongoing IDGE CEO Interview Series, IDG Chief Content Officer John Gallant and InfoWorld Editor in Chief Eric Knorr sat down with Nelson to talk about the state of the cloud and NetSuite's evolution during his tenure. The conversation began by addressing the changing nature of NetSuite's customer base.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- REST easy: API Design, Evolution and Connection RESTful design increases API performance, reduces development effort, and minimizes operational support burden. By following a few best practices and selecting RESTful tooling,...
- DevOps meets ALM in the Cloud - Cloud DevOps PaaS To improve software delivery performance and effectiveness, teams need automation, governance, architecture best practices, and increased team collaboration. Find out more.
- The Path to Responsive IT A responsive IT team enables on-demand self-service, ticketless IT, a low cost structure & wider participation. When extending the IT team to analysts,...
- WSO2 Reduces Infrastructure Cost and Improves Agility By adopting WSO2's cloud-native multi-tenant deployment topology and offering middleware as a service, your team can reduce costs and deliver a complete solution...
- ElectricAccelerator: Dramatically Faster Builds and Test ElectricAccelerator dramatically speeds up builds and test by parallelizing jobs across clusters of physical or cloud CPUs.
- Electric Cloud: Your AnthillPro Alternative Many organizations have become leery about AnthillPro since its acquisition by IBM. In this webinar, learn why ElectricCommander is an excellent alternative to... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!