VMware ships Apple iPad management client
Lets IT staff monitor and manage virtualized computing infrastructure
IDG News Service - VMware has released the vSphere Client for iPad, with which IT staff will be able to monitor and manage their virtualized infrastructure, the company said on Thursday.
The tablet application doesn't come with all the management features currently available on the desktop client. It has been designed from the ground up for Apple's iPad and is "optimized for viewing and managing your vSphere environment on the go", according to VMware.
VSphere Client for iPad is free, and can be used to search for and monitor the performance of vSphere hosts and virtual machines.
Administrators can also start, stop and suspend virtual machines or view and restore snapshots of them. Hosts can be rebooted or put into maintenance mode, VMware writes on a website dedicated to the product. The website also features videos to help guide users through the installation process. The client only comes with community support, according to VMware.
For vSphere Client for iPad to work, companies first have to install a virtual appliance called vCenter Mobile Access on one of their servers, and connect the servers to be managed to it. Traffic between the iPad and the appliance is encrypted to improve security.
The client already seems to be a hit with VMware users. At about 11 a.m. Central European Time, vSphere Client for iPad was the fourth most-popular application in the Business category in the App Store. The most popular application was Citrix's Receiver client followed by VMware's View Client for iPad, which was released last week. Both applications are used to access virtual Windows desktops.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Business Intelligence Shows its Smarts Today's Business Intelligence (BI) tools provide a new way to think about data with self-service capabilities and user-friendly analytics that can be used...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts