VMware ships Apple iPad management client
Lets IT staff monitor and manage virtualized computing infrastructure
IDG News Service - VMware has released the vSphere Client for iPad, with which IT staff will be able to monitor and manage their virtualized infrastructure, the company said on Thursday.
The tablet application doesn't come with all the management features currently available on the desktop client. It has been designed from the ground up for Apple's iPad and is "optimized for viewing and managing your vSphere environment on the go", according to VMware.
VSphere Client for iPad is free, and can be used to search for and monitor the performance of vSphere hosts and virtual machines.
Administrators can also start, stop and suspend virtual machines or view and restore snapshots of them. Hosts can be rebooted or put into maintenance mode, VMware writes on a website dedicated to the product. The website also features videos to help guide users through the installation process. The client only comes with community support, according to VMware.
For vSphere Client for iPad to work, companies first have to install a virtual appliance called vCenter Mobile Access on one of their servers, and connect the servers to be managed to it. Traffic between the iPad and the appliance is encrypted to improve security.
The client already seems to be a hit with VMware users. At about 11 a.m. Central European Time, vSphere Client for iPad was the fourth most-popular application in the Business category in the App Store. The most popular application was Citrix's Receiver client followed by VMware's View Client for iPad, which was released last week. Both applications are used to access virtual Windows desktops.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud-Enabled Managed Hosting, North America Cloud-enabled managed hosting brings cloudlike consumption and provisioning attributes to the traditional managed hosting market
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few. All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!