Al Sacco: Microsoft, RIM to announce free hosted BES product?
Users of Microsoft's Exchange Online 2010 hosted e-mail service could soon get a free BlackBerry offering.
CIO - BlackBerry-maker Research In Motion and software giant Microsoft are expected this week to announce a free version of Microsoft's hosted BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) for Exchange Online-hosted e-mail customers.
The hosted BES product itself is not new, but the free pricing would be; BES for Microsoft Exchange Online currently costs $10 per month, according to a post on ZDNet.com, but it will reportedly soon be free to Microsoft's Exchange 2010 Online customers, at least for the time being.
Exchange 2010 Online is Microsoft's hosted Exchange e-mail offering, and the BES product enables users to employ BlackBerry smartphones for on-the-go access to Exchange e-mail, calendar and tasks. And admistrators get RIM's industry-lauded BlackBerry security and device management features.
Few additional details are available, but RIM has scheduled a "BlackBerry for Business" media webcast for 2 p.m. EST Thursday, during which time the product will likely be officially announced, along with more specifics.
I'll be sitting in on the webcast, and I'll post any additional noteworthy details on the free hosted BES for Microsoft Exchange Online 2010 ASAP, assuming the webcast proves to be related to this rumored announcement.
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!