IDG News Service - The number of devices and modules that come equipped with LTE has grown to 98, according to a report from industry organization GSA (Global mobile Suppliers Association).
That compares to 63 LTE (Long-Term Evolution) devices in the beginning of February. The increase confirms that an ecosystem for LTE is rapidly being established, the GSA said in a statement on Wednesday.
However, the number of LTE products still pales in comparison to other more established technologies. For example, as of the beginning of February, 2,922 HSPA-equipped products had been launched, according to the GSA.
Most LTE devices are routers and USB modems, with about 30 product models in each of those two categories, according to GSA's data. There are fewer phones, tablets and notebooks. There are six phones on GSA's list, including four that have been introduced for Verizon Wireless' LTE network and two for MetroPCS' network.
The use of a wide variety of spectrum bands to roll out LTE means not all products can be used on all networks. The 700MHz band is the most popular frequency among device and module manufacturers, again reflecting the head start the U.S. has over the rest of the world. Verizon Wireless' LTE push is proving attractive to device manufacturers, according to GSA president Alan Hadden.
Still, there is also a growing number of products that allow users to access LTE on multiple spectrum bands. That could open the door for data using LTE abroad, but only if operators first sign roaming agreements.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- 4 Customers who never have to refresh their PCs again This paper illustrates a common theme: the combination of desktop virtualization and thin client computing helps organizations deliver an up-to-date user experience more...
- Mobile Devices: The New Thin Clients Get essential guidance for understanding the role thin clients plus virtual desktops play in the enterprise today.
- Taking Windows Mobile on Any Device Taking Windows applications mobile has many advantages, but the process of identifying a solution is complex. Learn how to solve this complex problem...
- PaaS - Powering a New Era of Business IT Why PaaS has suddenly become relevant and irresistible to many organizations. Dive into the opportunities and considerations associated with using PaaS from an...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them. All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts