IDG News Service - Twitter is celebrating its fifth birthday this month, so the company has released a fresh set of stats about its growth and usage, such as the fact that it took more than 3 years for users to send the first 1 billion "tweets," a feat now accomplished every week.
Over the past year, the average number of Twitter messages sent per day has increased from 50 million in March 2010 to 140 million this month, the company said in a blog post.
Currently, an average of 460,000 Twitter accounts are created every day, while the number of Twitter mobile users has spiked 182% year-on-year.
Despite that growth, Twitter seems to have a lot of room for expanding its user base. In December, The Pew Internet & American Life Project reported that 8% of U.S. residents use Twitter.
As Twitter turns 5 years old, it finds itself increasingly at odds with some of the external developers who have built complementary applications for the microblogging service.
Over the past 12 to 15 months, Twitter has been adding native functionality to the service that in many cases replicates and competes against applications built by these developers, leading to tension and complaints from them.
Most recently, this weekend the company stated that it doesn't want developers creating client applications that replicate Twitter.com's basic user functionality.
Twitter also cautioned that developers of existing client applications will be held to stricter enforcement of terms and conditions.
Twitter said it needs to do this to make the overall user experience more uniform and of higher quality, but some affected developers are crying foul, saying Twitter doesn't want people using alternative client applications so as not to dilute Twitter.com's traffic and fledgling ad business.
- Social Media Education: The New Edge for Success Failure to train for social media will cost your business money. A recent report showed how digitally prepared companies can unlock up to...
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- SANS: Next-Generation Datacenters = Next-Generation Security This whitepaper takes a look at some new technology that may allow security teams to implement more flexible and capable protection models in...
- Is SQL Server AlwaysOn really as powerful? Tips and Tricks from the field With the introduction of AlwaysOn, Windows Clustering Services is now more critical than ever.
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!