IDG News Service - Hoping to grab some of the $70 billion yearly worldwide market of electronic commerce software and services, IBM has launched an e-commerce practice focused on retail operation integration and analytics.
"Through technology, consumers have gotten much more empowered than they have ever been before," for the retail industry, said Craig Hayman, the general manager of IBM Software Industry Solutions and head of the new practice.
As a result, retail companies need more information about how well their products and services are faring in this fiercely competitive marketplace, he said.
IBM's "Smarter Commerce" initiative ties together a number of customized IBM software products and associated services that should help retailers better engage with customers and potential customers.
For this initiative, the company has dedicated 1,200 personnel for e-commerce consulting services. It has also assembled a training program for clients and business partners.
On the software side, IBM is integrating software from a number of e-commerce tool vendors it has acquired over the past few years. In 2010 alone, IBM spent over $2 billion acquiring e-commerce software vendors. It paid $1.4 billion for Sterling Commerce, which provides software for integrating back-end retail systems. Also last year, IBM acquired Coremetrics, which offered a set of cloud services that analyze how well marketing campaigns worked. Finally, IBM acquired Unica, which provided marketing campaign automation software.
IBM also plans to use its own IBM's WebSphere Commerce platform for its e-commerce packages.
The combined services and software packages will address e-commerce aspects such as customer tracking, automated marketing, selling and fulfillment, and managing brands.
- Manufacturing Outlook: Improving time to market, operational effectiveness and innovation in a highly competitive environment An enterprise project portfolio management solution can help manufacturers position themselves in the new competitive landscape.
- Time-to-Market: The Need for Speed in the Automotive Industry Bringing new vehicles to market quickly has never been more challenging. To bring new models to market on-time and on budget, automakers need...
- Patient Portals: A Platform for Connecting Communities of Care Connecting patient health data across the care continuum is essential to achieve improved care, increased access to personal health records and lowered costs.
- 3 Ways Clinicians Can Leverage a Patient Portal to Craft a Healthcare Community With a bevy of vendors offering patient portal solutions, it can be challenging for a hospital to know where to start. Fortunately, YourCareCommunity...
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Government/Industries White Papers | Webcasts