Best Buy, Target, Walmart will also sell iPad 2
Buyers at Walmart get $1 off regular price
Computerworld - If you're planning to buy the iPad 2 during the expected rush on Friday afternoon, you might want to consider retailers such as Best Buy, Walmart and Target instead of the Apple retail stores or the two major U.S. carriers.
Walmart is advertising online that it will sell the three iPad 2 Wi-Fi versions starting at $498, which is $1 less than at Apple stores. No information was available on quantities, however.
Walmart is also selling both the Verizon Wireless and AT&T versions of iPad with Wi-Fi and 3G starting at $628, which is $1 below Apple's suggested pricing for those models as well.
Best Buy says on its site it will sell the iPad 2 in its store starting at 5 p.m. Friday, but didn't list pricing or models as of Thursday afternoon.
Target will sell the iPad 2, both in black and white and with Wi-Fi-only or Wi-Fi + 3G (for both carriers) at all of its stores starting at 5 p.m. local time Friday, a spokeswoman confirmed. Pricing will be the same as Apple, she said. Target's Web site on Thursday did not indicate it would be selling the iPad 2.
She warned that "model availability may vary by store" and urged customers to contact their local Target for availability.
Target also offers an electronics trade-in service, similar to some other retailers such as Best Buy and Walmart, that can be used for an original iPad trade-in with credit towards any Target purchase, including the iPad 2. Target customers also get a 5% discount for using a Target RedCard to buy the iPad 2.
Online buyers can order an iPad 2 from Apple or AT&T starting at 4 a.m. ET Friday. Retails sales begin at 5 p.m. local time.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is email@example.com.
- iPad sales skew even more toward Mini
- Apple's Mac ends up in tablet cannibal pot, too
- The case for an iPad Pro
- Is Apple's 13-in. iPad a desktop for kids?
- Balky browsers tick off tablet owners
- The PC's fate hinges on tablets, but it's 2014 or bust
- iPhone, iPad dwarf mobile rivals in small- and mid-sized firms
- iPad grabs top spot in tablet purchase poll
- Tablets remain tops in American gift-buying plans
- iOS 7 now powers 3 out of 4 Apple devices
Read more about Macintosh in Computerworld's Macintosh Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Macintosh White Papers | Webcasts