Update: Apple jumps gun, delivers early iOS 4.3 update for AT&T iPhone, iPad
Adds Wi-Fi tethering, iTunes sharing; patches nearly 60 bugs, which may throw wrench into hackers' plans at Pwn2Own
Computerworld - Apple today released iOS 4.3, an upgrade for its iPhone and iPad operating system, pushing the update to users two days early.
Last week, Apple said it would roll out iOS 4.3 on Friday, March 11, the same day that its new iPad 2 goes on sale. The company did not immediately respond today to questions about why it jumped the gun.
According to Peter Vreugdenhil, of HP TippingPoint, Pwn2Own's sponsor, the smartphone's operating systems were "frozen" two weeks before today's contest tip-off, and so the target iPhone 4 will not sport iOS 4.3.
"Exploit development does sometimes rely on certain versions and that is the reason we have frozen the devices," said Vreugdenhil in an e-mail reply to questions today.
Personal Hotspot lets iPhone 4 owners create a temporary Wi-Fi hotspot, which other hardware, like a tablet or notebook, can use to connect to the Internet. To use the Wi-Fi tethering, customers must sign up with the service with their mobile carrier.
AT&T, which earlier said it would support Personal Hotspot on Friday, charges $45 per month for a bundle that includes tethering and its Data Pro plan, with a combined allowance of 4GB of data per month. Data usage above the 4GB allotment runs $10 per gigabyte.
According to an AT&T spokesman, the company's tethering plan is available for ordering today.
Also included in the iOS 4.3 update are patches for 59 vulnerabilities, the bulk of them in WebKit, the open-source browser engine that powers Apple's Safari on both the desktop and on its mobile devices.
The patches may play a part in the Pwn2Own contest, however. If the vulnerability used by a researcher to hack the iPhone has been fixed in iOS 4.3, TippingPoint will not award the $15,000 prize to him or her, Vreugdenhil confirmed today. Instead, the cash will go to the first researcher who exploits the "frozen" version of iOS using a bug still present in iOS 4.3.
"As long as the latest version still has the vulnerability, and the researcher has successfully 'pwned' with the frozen version, he or she will have won," said Vreugdenhil.
Apple has spelled out the iOS 4.3 improvements and additions on its Web site.
Apple's iOS 4
- Facebook blocks access to hidden iPad app
- LTE iPhone unlikely this year, says analyst
- Apple slams Amazon's Android e-store as 'inferior'
- Apple iOS: Why it's the most secure OS, period
- Apple launches iWork productivity apps for iPhone
- Analysts split on iPhone over-the-air-update buzz
- Apple's iOS 4.3 a welcome update for iPad, iPhone
- iOS 4.3 boosts first-gen iPad browser speed by 18%
- Update: Apple jumps gun, delivers early iOS 4.3 update for AT&T iPhone, iPad
- iPhone dev knocks Apple over vague new sub rules
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Infographic:10 Reasons to Choose vCloud Air Looking to create an agile, productive, and efficient IT environment? Read this simple infographic to learn about the benefits that VMware vCloud® Air™...
- Data Visualization Techniques: From Basics to Big Data with SAS Visual Analytics This paper discusses some of the basic issues concerning data visualization, from data size and column composition, to solving unique challenges presented by...
- 5 Hybrid Cloud Starting Points Did you know that more than 50% of organizations are already using or planning a move to hybrid cloud?
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All iOS White Papers | Webcasts