Four red-hot display technologies to watch
These technologies are poised for growth this year and beyond. Here's why.
Computerworld - The apps on your smartphone might be brilliant, but what about the display? Emerging technologies could soon deliver the richer, Wizard of Oz Technicolor experience you crave while performing like a Maserati.
Driven by demands from markets ranging from tablets to televisions, display manufacturers are pouring billions into R&D and fabrication facilities in an effort to enhance existing technologies and drive emerging technologies into the mainstream. Users can look forward to more-responsive touch screens contoured to different shapes, with brighter colors, higher contrast ratios and much lower power consumption.
Of the many technologies coming out of the labs, four are likely to have a substantial impact on IT in 2011 -- and beyond. Our four-part series explores each one in depth:
We start with a look at the rapid proliferation of multitouch displays and how developments ranging from gesture languages to proximity sensing will further enhance the technology's popularity. (Full story)
Next up is haptics, a technology that provides feedback to users' fingers by vibrating all or part of the display surface. Emerging haptic technologies can even mimic movement and different textures. (Full story)
We move on to e-paper, the technology behind most of today's popular e-book readers. Color screens are coming soon, followed by brighter colors, video support and eventually even flexible screens. (Full story)
Finally we look at OLED, an alternative display technology that's fast, thin, bright and energy efficient. Found mostly in smartphones now, it's ripe for tablets, TVs and more -- if manufacturers can figure out how to scale up. (Full story)
Read more about Emerging Technologies in Computerworld's Emerging Technologies Topic Center.
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and...
- Three Best Practices to Help Enterprises Overcome BYOD Challenges The new Bring-Your-Own-Device (BYOD) environment presents challenges for IT managers and business leaders. This paper discusses how IT managers can address those challenges,...
- Intelligent Imaging for Improved Banking Performance and Profitability A new generation of "Intelligent Imaging" solutions has emerged that is helping banks remove the burden of paper in legacy processes, like loan...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Emerging Technologies White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!