Twitter's Stone says no plans for an IPO or funding
The Twitter co-founder says the company is making money
Computerworld - Twitter co-founder Biz Stone reportedly said today that the company is making money and there are no plans for Twitter to go public in the near future.
Stone, speaking at a business forum in Seoul Thursday, said the micro-blogging company doesn't need to go looking for funding in the next 12 months because it's making money on its own, according to a report from Reuters.
"We have so many other things before we even think about that," Stone said when asked about the prospects of an IPO. "We are not even discussing it internally. It's too far off."
Questions about Twitter considering an IPO couldn't have been a surprise since there have been recent reports that LinkedIn and Facebook, both major players in the social networking world, are considering IPOs.
LinkedIn, generally considered to be a second-tier social networking player, may beat all the rest to an IPO. The Wall Street Journal reported in January that LinkedIn is expected to file papers in the first quarter of this year in pursuit of an IPO. The Journal also reported about the same time that Facebook could be taking steps to prepare its own IPO papers.
And that latest report of a possible IPO for Facebook came just months after Facebook board member, venture capitalist and PayPal co-founder Peter Thiel said Facebook was looking at making an initial public offering sometime after late 2012.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts