IDG News Service - Teradata said Thursday it plans to buy data warehousing startup Aster Data Systems, continuing a run of consolidation in the market for technology that can process ever-growing amounts of "big data."
The deal is expected to close in the second quarter. Teradata, which had already acquired an 11% stake in Aster Data last year, will pay another $263 million for the remainder, according to a statement.
"Big data" refers not only to the scope of today's information but also to the presence of both structured and unstructured data "involving complex interrelationships that do not lend themselves to analysis with today's traditional techniques," Teradata said.
While Teradata is already a well-established player in data warehousing, Aster's technologies will help it tackle the challenge of analyzing such workloads, it added.
The Aster Data acquisition is the second significant purchase by Teradata in recent months as it seeks to broaden its market footprint. Last year, it scooped up integrated marketing software vendor Aprimo for $525 million.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris's e-mail address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- The Value of IBM InfoSphere BigInsights The IBM® InfoSphere® BigInsights™ software platform helps firms discover and analyze business insights hidden in large volumes of a diverse range of data....
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Unified Communications 101 What's the best way to implement a unified communications solution for your organization? Join independent networking expert, Ed Tittel, as he weighs the... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts