NASA: Humanoid robot moves onto space station
Astronauts use robotic arm to permanently attach a fully loaded module to the station
Computerworld - Robotic history was made today.
Using a robotic arm, astronauts brought a humanoid robot aboard the International Space Station. While the space station has used various robotic arms attached to the outside of the orbiter, this is the first humanoid robot that will "live" and work inside with the astronauts.
Dubbed Robonaut 2, or R2, the robot was stowed inside the Leonardo Permanent Multipurpose Module, a pressurized container used on shuttle missions to haul cargo to the space station and refuse back to Earth. However, with the shuttle fleet close to retiring, this time the module will become a permanent fixture on the space station, giving astronauts living there more storage room.
Astronauts used one of the space station's robotic arms to hoist the fully loaded 28,353 pound module out of the shuttle and attach it to the space station.
On this trip aboard space shuttle Discovery, the module was loaded with supplies, experiments, equipment and Robonaut 2.
NASA reported Tuesday that at 10:05 a.m. EST, the module was anchored in place on the underside of the space station's Unity node.
This evening the crew will enter the module and begin the work of unloading it.
This is Discovery's last trip into space. The space shuttle made more than 5,000 trips around the Earth, logging more than 150 million miles and carrying more than 180 astronauts. It also was the shuttle that returned the U.S. to space flight after the Challenger and Columbia accidents.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Emerging Technologies in Computerworld's Emerging Technologies Topic Center.
- Unlocking the Promise of Demand Sensing and Shaping through Big Data Analytics Many organizations have limited insight into big data. These limitations have significant opportunity costs and can have a negative effect on identifying and...
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- Intelligent Imaging for Improved Banking Performance and Profitability A new generation of "Intelligent Imaging" solutions has emerged that is helping banks remove the burden of paper in legacy processes, like loan...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How... All Emerging Technologies White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!