Veterans get mobile access to their eHealth records
Blue Button allows vets to see and share health records
Computerworld - The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) today announced a new online feature that allows active duty and retired service members to access their electronic health records (EHRs) with the click of a mouse.
The VA's Veterans Affairs Health Information Systems and Technology Architecture (VistA) is arguably the most advanced EHR system in existence. It has more subscribers than any commercial EHR deployments and serves as a model by many vendors model for their products.
The VA's "Blue Button" Web Portal gives veterans direct access to the agency's MyHealtheVet personal health record on any computer, including mobile devices.
The application, also known formally as VA-214, was developed by Northrup Grumman for the VA. It is currently available on both Apple's iOS and Google's Android platform. The app allows veterans to view their personal information and medications at the touch of a button.
"Following the innovation lead of the VA's chief technology officer Peter Levin, the development of this application for secure, reliable and portable personal health records supports the administration's goal of promoting greater use of health information technology," Amy King, vice president of health IT programs for Northrop Grumman, said in a statement.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Healthcare IT in Computerworld's Healthcare IT Topic Center.
Apple has assembled an all-star team featuring some of the world's most proficient and well-connected biosensor engineers. Is this extensive investment entirely dedicated to an iPhone app called Healthbook and an accessory called an iWatch?
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Patient Portals: A Platform for Connecting Communities of Care
- Connecting patient health data across the care continuum is essential to achieve improved care, increased access to personal health records and lowered costs.
- 3 Ways Clinicians Can Leverage a Patient Portal to Craft a Healthcare Community
- With a bevy of vendors offering patient portal solutions, it can be challenging for a hospital to know where to start. Fortunately, YourCareCommunity...
- Healthcare Firm Ramps Up for Claims Processing Spikes
- Huge increases in claims processing loads and stringent SLAs for Medicaid patients prompted Molina Healthcare to enhance their IT infrastructure with VCE.
- Path Selection Infographic
- Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic
- A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster... All Healthcare IT White Papers
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the...
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and...
- All Healthcare IT Webcasts