Twitter restores access to Twidroyd and UberSocial apps
Move comes a day after Twitter suspended the mobile apps of rival UberMedia
Computerworld - Just one day after Twitter suspended three major third-party mobile applications for allegedly violating its use policies, the social network reinstated them.
Twitter announced on Saturday that the three apps -- UberMedia's UberSocial, Twidroyd and UberCurrents -- once again had access to its site.
"Our initial review indicates that steps have been taken to remedy the violations for these applications," Twitter noted in a blog post on its Help Center page. "When the developer updates [the applications] you'll be able to download their updates to access tweets again on these applications."
Last Friday, Twitter announced that UberTwitter, which runs on the BlackBerry platform, Twidroyd, which is for Android devices, and UberCurrent, which is designed for Apple iPhones and iPads, no longer had access to its API.
To complicate matters, UberMedia has announced plans to acquire TweetDeck, which competes directly with Twitter's Web and mobile clients.
Twitter spokeswoman Carolyn Penner told Computerworld today that the violations included the use of private Direct Messages that are longer than 140 characters, trademark infringement, and changing of tweet content in order to make money.
In an e-mail to Computerworld, UberMedia CEO Bill Gross said the company had completed the changes that Twitter had asked for late last week.
Gross added that the company changed the name of UberTwitter to UberSocial at Twitter's request.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The 5 Big Lies About Going Mobile You've heard about the power of mobile to change your business. But have you realized your mobile potential? It's about much more than...
- BYOP: How Mobile and Social Are Creating New User Personas The digital world of mobile + social creates new customer segments and behaviors. Companies need to reorient their customer interactions around these segments...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator...
- Technology for Everyone A Kansas school district modernizes teaching and learning and paves the way to a one-to-one program with a comprehensive upgrade of its wireless... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts