Windows Phone 7 update jams some mobile phones
Microsoft suggests 'taking it to a store' to be fixed to one customer
IDG News Service - Microsoft's first Windows Phone 7 update is apparently causing some users' phones to not work.
Microsoft has advised at least one person to take his device into a store.
Microsoft released the update on Monday but played it down. The update was designed only "to improve the software update process itself," wrote Michael Stroh on the Windows Team Blog.
"So while it might not sound exciting, it's still important because it's paving the way for all future goodie-filled updates to your phone, such as copy and paste or improved Marketplace search," Stroh wrote.
Microsoft said in a statement on Tuesday regarding the update causing phones to stop working that it is aware of the problem and "looking into these reports."
Windows Phone 7 users update their phones by using either the Zune software for Windows OSes or the Windows Phone 7 Connector for Mac using a USB cable, Stroh wrote.
Both of those programs, however, may need updating before the new update is installed, he wrote.
One user, Alex Roebuck, wrote on Twitter that the update had "bricked" -- the term for when a mobile phone is unusable -- his Samsung Omnia 7.
"We're very sorry for the inconvenience," Microsoft responded on its support Twitter feed. "For this issue we would suggest taking it to a store."
- Microsoft exec doesn't rule out Intel-based Windows Phones
- LG backs off Windows Phone for now, report says
- Carriers desperately seeking Windows Phone
- Review: Nokia Lumia 900 puts Windows Phone back in the race
- Microsoft spins Android malware into Windows Phone giveaway
- Microsoft pursues webOS devs, offers free phones
- First Windows Mango Phone unveiled
- Windows Phone OS Mango sent to manufacturers, carriers
- Ballmer: Windows Phone 7 not successful yet
- Microsoft offers developers early access to Windows Phone Mango
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- AIIM Trendscape: The New Mobile Reality This AIIM Trendscape report shares data, expert opinions, and a unique perspective on the impact of cloud and mobility in the enterprise, surfacing...
- Empowering Your Mobile Workers A modern mobile IT strategy is no longer an option, it is an absolute necessity. Here's how some of the nation's most progressive...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator...
- Technology for Everyone A Kansas school district modernizes teaching and learning and paves the way to a one-to-one program with a comprehensive upgrade of its wireless... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts