IDG News Service - Google is rolling out several enhancements to its Social Search feature that make links from someone's online circle of friends and contacts more prominent in query results.
Since the launch of Social Search in 2009, these "social" results appeared in a special section at the bottom of the results page, but they will now be mixed in the main list based on their relevance to the query. They'll be labeled in a special way that makes it clear they come from someone's social circle.
"This means you'll start seeing more from people like co-workers and friends, with annotations below the results they've shared or created," reads a Google blog post on Thursday.
Social Search requires that users be logged into their Google accounts and link to them whatever social networking accounts they want Google to consider when resolving search queries.
For example, logged-in Google users who have linked their Twitter, Flickr and YouTube accounts to Social Search will see links to relevant postings made by their contacts.
As part of Thursday's upgrade, users will be able to link their social networking accounts in a private manner to their Google account, whereas before these connections could only be done with users' Google profiles and were publicly visible.
The new Social Search features will be available only in English for now and will be rolled out over the coming week.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Internet Search White Papers | Webcasts