Computerworld - Here are links to white papers, Web sites and online articles with more information about 64-bit CPUs.
- IDC white paper on Intel's Xeon with 64-bit extensions, sponsored by Intel Corp.: Download PDF.
- IDC white paper on Opteron technology, sponsored by Advanced Micro Devices Inc.: Download PDF.
- AMD white paper on the AMD64 platform: Download PDF.
- A white paper with details on Thor's Hammer, the new supercomputer at the Sandia National Laboratory in Albuquerque, by William J. Camp and James L. Tomkins: Download PDF.
Web Sites and Online Articles
- Wikipedia.org's entry on 64-bit computing offers a detailed and somewhat technical tutorial on the technology.
- "x86 64-bit Computing and Beyond," by Paul Terry, chief technology officer at OctigaBay Systems Corp., HPCwire, March 12, 2004
- by Nebojsa Novakovic, The Inquirer, April 7, 2004
- "Chinese Start-up Readies 64-bit Processor," by Mike Clendenin, EETimes, March 6, 2004
- "AMD 2004 CPU Roadmap Update," by Anand Lal Shimpi, Anandtech.com, Jan. 13, 2004
- "Intel 2004 CPU/Chipset Roadmap Update," by Anand Lal Shimpi, Kris Kubicki and Wesley Fink, Anandtech.com, Jan. 21, 2004
- "IBM unveils Opteron workstation," Computerworld.com, March 16, 2004
- "HP Bows to Users, Opts to Offer Opteron," p. 1, March 1, 2004
- "Vendors jump to support 64-bit extensions," Computerworld.com, Feb. 19, 2004
- "Sun, HP Enhance RISC Chips, But Opteron May Provide Edge," p. 1, Feb. 9, 2004
- "Fujitsu announces Itanium 2, Opteron systems," Computerworld.com, Dec. 18, 2003
- "IBM's first 64-bit blades to use G5 chip," Computerworld.com, Nov. 14, 2003
Read more about Hardware in Computerworld's Hardware Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Logicalis eBook: SAP HANA: The Need for Speed Without timely business insights, organizations today can suffer logistical, manufacturing, and even financial disaster in a matter of minutes
- Neustar 2014 DDoS Attacks and Impact Report For the third consecutive year, Neustar surveyed hundreds of companies on distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks. The survey reveals evidence that the...
- Acxiom Case Study This case study, which focuses on Acxiom, explores how the company was able to secure employee data, reduce migration costs and boost productivity...
- Windows® XP Migration: Protect and Secure Critical Data With the end of the Microsoft Windows XP operating system's lifecycle on April 8, 2014, businesses are faced with the decision to migrate...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Building Tomorrow's Infrastructure Listen to this podcast to discover how Crider Foods worked with PC Connection to update their IT infrastructure, while maintaining compliance and control. All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!