RIM to launch LTE, HSPA+ PlayBook tablets by year-end
IDG News Service - Research In Motion announced plans for two new versions of its PlayBook tablet at the World Mobile Congress on Monday -- although it hasn't even begun selling the two models it has already announced. PlayBooks for LTE (Long-Term Evolution) and 3G HSPA+ networks and will go on sale by the end of year, joining the Wi-Fi and WiMax models that RIM plans to begin selling next month.
Both of the devices announced Monday will also support Bluetooth tethering, connection to mobile hotspots via smartphones or other portable devices acting as a Wi-Fi hotspots, and BlackBerry Bridge, which is software that allows use of features such as Messenger and E-mail from a BlackBerry Device on a PlayBook.
RIM didn't say which network operators will support the new models.
RIM still hasn't released two other PlayBooks models, one that supports Wi-Fi and another with Wi-Fi and WiMax. In December, the company said it was still working on optimizing battery life for the PlayBook, and during the company's Dec. 16 earnings call, RIM executives said the PlayBook would not go on sale until the end of next month.
In other announcements, RIM said it is expanding its BlackBerry App World to 27 new countries and areas. The store has applications for devices with a trackball, trackpad or touch screen using its 4.5 operating system or higher.
The countries and areas are Azerbaijan, Botswana Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, French Guyana, Greece, Guadeloupe, Hungary, Iceland, Kenya, La Réunion, Latvia, Macedonia, Malta, Martinique, Nigeria, Norway, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden and Tanzania.
RIM is also making plans for BlackBerry App World that will allow subscribers to buy airtime, applications and other services for another subscriber on their prepaid or post-paid accounts. The mobile gifting platform will use BlackBerry Messenger, which will be integrated into operator and App World billing systems, RIM said. The company didn't say when it will be available.
In other news, RIM said Telefónica will begin billing customers for applications from App World, directly on their mobile phone bill, saving users from needing to enter billing information via the App World portal. Telefónica owns brands such as O2 in the U.K. and has 280 million customers in 25 countries, making it a major presence in Europe and Latin America.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts