Microsoft names Nadella as new server and tools president
IDG News Service - Microsoft appointed its online services veteran, Satya Nadella, to head its $15 billion server and tools business, the company announced Wednesday.
Nadella will assume the role of president for that business, a post that Bob Muglia announced in January that he would be vacating.
In announcing the appointment, Microsoft highlighted Nadella's expertise in cloud computing, a skill the company sees as essential in finding its place in the emerging market for cloud computing services and tools. Nadella's "deep experience" in Microsoft's server business and online services will "help accelerate our momentum while setting the course" for its future cloud offerings, CEO Steve Ballmer said in a statement.
Nadella formerly led engineering efforts in the company's online services division. He led the technical efforts to launch Microsoft's Bing search engine, as well as updates to the Microsoft MSN consumer portal and the integration of the ad services between Yahoo and Bing.
Nadella, 43, had been with the online services division since 2007. Before that, he led Microsoft business solutions, which offers the company's Dynamics line of enterprise resource planning and customer relationship management products. He has been with Microsoft for 19 years.
The server and tools business division oversees the Windows Server operating system, along with related development and administration tools. The division will also oversee the company's cloud computing offerings, including the Windows Azure group. In his new role, Nadella will have to develop a technology road map and overall strategic vision for both the server tools software and enterprise cloud offerings, according to the company.
Muglia plans to leave Microsoft by mid-2011, after he helps Nadella get acquainted with the new job.
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- Pragmatic Endpoint Management: Empowering an SMB Workforce in the Age of Mobility Lacking the time for proper training and education, SMB administrators often resort to taking shortcuts to keep their environment running.This paper discusses the...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Application Security The market for application security testing is changing rapidly. Technology trends, such as mobile applications, advanced Web applications and dynamic languages, are forcing...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts