Microsoft names Nadella as new server and tools president
IDG News Service - Microsoft appointed its online services veteran, Satya Nadella, to head its $15 billion server and tools business, the company announced Wednesday.
Nadella will assume the role of president for that business, a post that Bob Muglia announced in January that he would be vacating.
In announcing the appointment, Microsoft highlighted Nadella's expertise in cloud computing, a skill the company sees as essential in finding its place in the emerging market for cloud computing services and tools. Nadella's "deep experience" in Microsoft's server business and online services will "help accelerate our momentum while setting the course" for its future cloud offerings, CEO Steve Ballmer said in a statement.
Nadella formerly led engineering efforts in the company's online services division. He led the technical efforts to launch Microsoft's Bing search engine, as well as updates to the Microsoft MSN consumer portal and the integration of the ad services between Yahoo and Bing.
Nadella, 43, had been with the online services division since 2007. Before that, he led Microsoft business solutions, which offers the company's Dynamics line of enterprise resource planning and customer relationship management products. He has been with Microsoft for 19 years.
The server and tools business division oversees the Windows Server operating system, along with related development and administration tools. The division will also oversee the company's cloud computing offerings, including the Windows Azure group. In his new role, Nadella will have to develop a technology road map and overall strategic vision for both the server tools software and enterprise cloud offerings, according to the company.
Muglia plans to leave Microsoft by mid-2011, after he helps Nadella get acquainted with the new job.
- SANS: Next-Generation Datacenters = Next-Generation Security This whitepaper takes a look at some new technology that may allow security teams to implement more flexible and capable protection models in...
- SANS: Protecting Virtual Endpoints with McAfee Server Security Suite Essentials SANS review of McAfees Server Security Suite Essentials that address some of the emerging challenges of securing virtual platforms and cloud environments.
- Safeguarding the Next-Generation Data Center Use of virtual and cloud servers has exploded. Unfortunately, security often lags behind. McAfee recommends looking at innovative solutions in order to erect...
- Aberdeen: Securing the Evolving Datacenter This report highlights ways security technologies and services are evolving to provide the visibility and control needed to deploy workloads flexibly in the...
- Is SQL Server AlwaysOn really as powerful? Tips and Tricks from the field With the introduction of AlwaysOn, Windows Clustering Services is now more critical than ever.
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.