Nokia Siemens integrates Wi-Fi and cellular networks
IDG News Service - Nokia Siemens' Smart WLAN Connectivity Solution will free users from having to manually switch a device's data connection between Wi-Fi and cellular broadband, the company said Tuesday.
The Smart WLAN package should make Wi-Fi hotspots easier to use for both consumers and operators. The product will be launched at Mobile World Congress, running Feb. 14 to Feb. 17 in Barcelona.
Operators are looking for ways to offload rapidly growing amounts of data traffic, and Wi-Fi hotspots have already proved to be a good way to do that.
Smart WLAN allows operators to use existing functions such as authentication, charging, policy control and traffic management for both mobile and Wi-Fi traffic in a unified way, according to Nokia Siemens.
Users will be able to move between Wi-Fi and cellular broadband, with the network handling the transition without interrupting the connection, much in the same way users today move between different mobile base stations. If the operator uses SIM-based authentication for both networks, users won't have to enter a password.
The Nokia Siemens Smart WLAN Connectivity Solution will be available for commercial use in the first half of 2011. It includes device management, authentication, a policy control server and the Flexi Network Gateway, which will allow Wi-Fi hotspots and the mobile network to work as one.
Nokia Siemens isn't the only vendor working to integrate Wi-Fi hotspots and cellular networks, Ericsson has similar plans, it said on Tuesday.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Visual tour: The Android tablets of MWC
- MWC video: VMware's Android app separates business and pleasure
- MWC video: Nvidia shows quad-core Project Kal-El
- Visual tour: Android phones take over Mobile World Congress
- 2011 a 'pivotal year' for NFC payments, say RIM, Orange and KT execs
- Tablets to be supercharged by quad-core chips
- Smartphones driving you nuts? Industry execs take note
- Android smartphone makers seek unique positions
- Full-duplex radio breakthrough can double Wi-Fi capacity
- RIM, Nokia, DoCoMo dodge Google's 'dumb pipe' menace
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts