Nokia Siemens integrates Wi-Fi and cellular networks
IDG News Service - Nokia Siemens' Smart WLAN Connectivity Solution will free users from having to manually switch a device's data connection between Wi-Fi and cellular broadband, the company said Tuesday.
The Smart WLAN package should make Wi-Fi hotspots easier to use for both consumers and operators. The product will be launched at Mobile World Congress, running Feb. 14 to Feb. 17 in Barcelona.
Operators are looking for ways to offload rapidly growing amounts of data traffic, and Wi-Fi hotspots have already proved to be a good way to do that.
Smart WLAN allows operators to use existing functions such as authentication, charging, policy control and traffic management for both mobile and Wi-Fi traffic in a unified way, according to Nokia Siemens.
Users will be able to move between Wi-Fi and cellular broadband, with the network handling the transition without interrupting the connection, much in the same way users today move between different mobile base stations. If the operator uses SIM-based authentication for both networks, users won't have to enter a password.
The Nokia Siemens Smart WLAN Connectivity Solution will be available for commercial use in the first half of 2011. It includes device management, authentication, a policy control server and the Flexi Network Gateway, which will allow Wi-Fi hotspots and the mobile network to work as one.
Nokia Siemens isn't the only vendor working to integrate Wi-Fi hotspots and cellular networks, Ericsson has similar plans, it said on Tuesday.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Visual tour: The Android tablets of MWC
- MWC video: VMware's Android app separates business and pleasure
- MWC video: Nvidia shows quad-core Project Kal-El
- Visual tour: Android phones take over Mobile World Congress
- 2011 a 'pivotal year' for NFC payments, say RIM, Orange and KT execs
- Tablets to be supercharged by quad-core chips
- Smartphones driving you nuts? Industry execs take note
- Android smartphone makers seek unique positions
- Full-duplex radio breakthrough can double Wi-Fi capacity
- RIM, Nokia, DoCoMo dodge Google's 'dumb pipe' menace
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!