Android outranks iPhone in latest comScore data
Survey of U.S. subscribers shows Android second behind RIM
Computerworld - Google's Android outranked Apple's iPhone in total smartphone subscribers in the U.S. at the end of the fourth quarter of 2010, according to survey data released Monday by market research company comScore.
Android accounted for 28.7% of the 63.2 million U.S. smartphone owners at the end of December, up from 21.4% at the end of September, comScore said. It based its findings on a survey of more than 12,000 smartphone subscribers ages 13 and older.
Android's upward climb put it in second position behind BlackBerry maker Research In Motion at the end of December, pushing down Apple iPhone subscribers from second to third place by the end of the fourth quarter. The iPhone accounted for 24.3% of U.S. subscribers at the end of September, rising to 25% by the end of December.
Subscribers to RIM's BlackBerries dropped from 37.3% to 31.6%, comScore noted.
Android's ascendancy has been shown in other reports, including those from research firms Canalys and IDC.
Users of the Palm and Microsoft operating systems also declined over the last three months of 2010, despite the introduction of Windows Mobile Phone 7, comScore noted.
Similar to IDC's finding that Samsung led the worldwide smartphone market in shipments, comScore said Samsung led in the U.S., with 24.8% of subscribers using Samsung devices at the end of December, up from 23.5% at the end of September. Samsung was followed by LG, Motorola, RIM and Nokia.
Nokia had more than 33% of the global smartphone market at the end of 2010, retaining its top position worldwide, IDC said. However, comScore put Nokia's subscriber number at just 7% in the U.S. at the end of December.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is email@example.com.
- Review: 5 video editing apps for Android
- Malware-infected Android apps spike in the Google Play store
- Nokia plans forked Android smartphone for Barcelona unveiling
- LG G Flex deep-dive review: The curious case of the curved phone
- Xperia Z1S deep-dive review: A stylish phone with power and panache
- Low-end smartphone battle forces Nokia to Android
- Moto G real-world review: The best budget phone money can buy
- Google escalates offensive against Office with Android 'KitKat'
- Galaxy Note 3 deep-dive review: A plus-sized phone with perks and quirks
- LG G2 deep-dive review: Extraordinary hardware in an ordinary phone
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
Enhance Your Virtualization Infrastructure With IBM and Vmware
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Virtualization technology is now expanding beyond the server compute elements to encompass networking and storage...
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
All Smartphones White Papers |
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!