Marin County alleges SAP, Deloitte engaged in racketeering
IDG News Service - The government of Marin County, Calif., is suing two SAP subsidiaries and Deloitte Consulting, alleging they "engaged in a pattern of racketeering activity designed to defraud the County of more than $20 million."
SAP must deliver a response to the suit by Feb. 23, according to a filing made Tuesday in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California. The county originally filed suit in December in a lower California court, and the case was removed to federal court last week, according to the filing.
Marin County's suit also names as a defendant Ernest Culver, a former county employee who served as project director. The county alleges that Culver interviewed for jobs at Deloitte and SAP, where he now works in the Public Services division. During that time, Culver "was also approving Deloitte's deficient work on the project, approving payments, and causing Marin County to enter into new contracts with Deloitte and SAP Public Services, Inc," according to the county.
Deloitte also "repeatedly treated him to lavish meals," the county alleges.
Marin County's complaint alleges violations of the federal Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations act (RICO). The county wants $35 million in damages, which would be tripled under RICO to $105 million, along with punitive damages.
The county had already sued Deloitte, which was a consultant on the troubled project, claiming the company had used it as a training ground for inexperienced workers. Deloitte has denied the allegations.
Last August, when news of the county's intentions to remove the software came to light, an SAP spokesman told IDG News Service that the company's product was not to blame, and "any issues in this implementation in no way reflect on SAP." Many public agencies are using SAP software successfully, he added.
In an e-mail, Deloitte spokesman Jonathan Gandal said the county's latest complaint "is a frivolous litigation tactic."
"By recycling their allegations against Deloitte Consulting and filing them before a different judge, the County's lawyers are trying to find a more favorable forum for their claims, several of which were recently dismissed," he added. "Deloitte Consulting denies these inflammatory and false charges and will continue to vigorously defend the case."
"In 2010, when the Marin County board of supervisors recommended to terminate the implementation and opted to look for a new provider, SAP expressed then that we would continue to work with them in any way they requested during their search," SAP spokesman Andy Kendzie said in an e-mailed statement Wednesday. "That position has not changed. ... Our attorneys are reviewing the county's action and, as is SAP's policy, we don't comment further on ongoing litigation."
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts