Marin County alleges SAP, Deloitte engaged in racketeering
IDG News Service - The government of Marin County, Calif., is suing two SAP subsidiaries and Deloitte Consulting, alleging they "engaged in a pattern of racketeering activity designed to defraud the County of more than $20 million."
SAP must deliver a response to the suit by Feb. 23, according to a filing made Tuesday in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California. The county originally filed suit in December in a lower California court, and the case was removed to federal court last week, according to the filing.
Marin County's suit also names as a defendant Ernest Culver, a former county employee who served as project director. The county alleges that Culver interviewed for jobs at Deloitte and SAP, where he now works in the Public Services division. During that time, Culver "was also approving Deloitte's deficient work on the project, approving payments, and causing Marin County to enter into new contracts with Deloitte and SAP Public Services, Inc," according to the county.
Deloitte also "repeatedly treated him to lavish meals," the county alleges.
Marin County's complaint alleges violations of the federal Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations act (RICO). The county wants $35 million in damages, which would be tripled under RICO to $105 million, along with punitive damages.
The county had already sued Deloitte, which was a consultant on the troubled project, claiming the company had used it as a training ground for inexperienced workers. Deloitte has denied the allegations.
Last August, when news of the county's intentions to remove the software came to light, an SAP spokesman told IDG News Service that the company's product was not to blame, and "any issues in this implementation in no way reflect on SAP." Many public agencies are using SAP software successfully, he added.
In an e-mail, Deloitte spokesman Jonathan Gandal said the county's latest complaint "is a frivolous litigation tactic."
"By recycling their allegations against Deloitte Consulting and filing them before a different judge, the County's lawyers are trying to find a more favorable forum for their claims, several of which were recently dismissed," he added. "Deloitte Consulting denies these inflammatory and false charges and will continue to vigorously defend the case."
"In 2010, when the Marin County board of supervisors recommended to terminate the implementation and opted to look for a new provider, SAP expressed then that we would continue to work with them in any way they requested during their search," SAP spokesman Andy Kendzie said in an e-mailed statement Wednesday. "That position has not changed. ... Our attorneys are reviewing the county's action and, as is SAP's policy, we don't comment further on ongoing litigation."
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts