Brainshark app gives iPad, iPhone access to presentations
On-demand mobile access to training and presentation materials gains ground
Brainshark presentations include music, video clips and attachments and can be used for sales presentations, training and other purposes in an on-demand fashion from any computer and wireless device through a Web browser, company officials said.
The presentations have already been available on the iPad and iPhone and other smartphones, as well as laptops and desktops, through a Web browser. The new Brainshark App gives each user the ability to navigate through a presentation with a table of contents and to download attachments associated with the presentation.
The app also allows a click-to-share capability through e-mail and access to a library of e-learning content on business topics. In addition, with the app, enterprise customers can log into a Brainshark account to access their own content or their company's content.
Brainshark CEO and Founder Joe Gustafson said that about 1,400 companies already use Brainshark, which is sold as a subscription service and can cost as little as $10. Brainshark offers single-user pricing, professional pricing and enterprise pricing -- and one large customer has paid $1 million a year for the service. One advantage of the service is that it makes it easy for users to create and distribute presentations and offers reports on who accessed the material.
Brainshark, based in Waltham, Mass., launched in 1999 and has 170 employees. It expects to add more workers in 2011, Gustafson said. "The last nine months have been truly remarkable," he said in an interview. "It was the iPad that really accelerated business use of Brainshark content."
One existing Brainshark customer, Corporate Visions, expects the new app to make a difference for users. Corporate Visions provides sales and marketing consulting and training. "We work with companies that have deployed large numbers of iPhones and iPads and as such, we are enthusiastic about this app and its ability to provide an excellent user experience," said Tim Riesterer, chief marketing officer for strategic consulting at Corporate Visions.
The new app will allow Corporate Visions customers to easily navigate the exact content they want and to download supporting information "to derive maximum benefits from our program," Riesterer said in a statement.
Brainshark doesn't compete with Webex and other real-time Web conference tools, which allow participants to ask questions over the phone, Brainshark officials noted. However, having asynchronous access to presentations is valuable to mobile workers and executives who can't be tied to a schedule while traveling, Gustafson said.
The Web conferencing marketing is estimated to be $2.6 billion annually, he said. "Asynchronous [presentations] are not that big yet, but we believe there's the potential to be as big as that."
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Mobile Apps in Computerworld's Mobile Apps Topic Center.
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Mobile Application Development Platforms As unprecedented numbers of enterprises build mobile applications, the mobile application development platform market continues to grow and evolve rapidly.
- The Total Economic Impact of IBM's Worklight Platform Mobile is the fastest growing consumer technology in history. As enterprises build apps to engage these new users they are facing increased complexity...
- Improve Your Mobile Application Security with IBM Worklight IBM® Worklight helps organizations extend their business across multiple mobile devices. It provides an open, comprehensive and advanced mobile application platform to help...
- Unlock the Value of Enterprise Mobility Download this guide and learn how to manage the secure deployment of enterprise mobile apps and data, while still encouraging the levels of...
- It's Chaos Out There Worried about your mobile apps? You should be; it's chaos out there. Check out this humorous video and see if you can recognize...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!