IDG News Service - Oracle is hoping to make new inroads against Microsoft's SharePoint with WebCenter Suite 11g, which was announced Tuesday.
The company pulled together a superset of capabilities from its various portal products for the new product, said Andy MacMillan, vice president of product management.
The release traces back to Oracle's "continue and converge" plan laid out in 2008 when it purchased BEA, which had a number of portal assets, MacMillan said. Oracle always intended to "bring together the best of the best ... into a single unified use case," while continuing to develop the portal products independently, he said.
"Customers are invested in these platforms. What we want to do is provide them a way, at their choosing, to leverage the converged stack," he said.
The suite includes a content management infrastructure along with components for building portals, websites and composite applications.
Oracle has also packaged capabilities from its Beehive collaboration suite specifically for use with WebCenter. Contrary to some recent indications, Beehive is still alive as an independent product, according to MacMillan.
Oracle may face some challenges trying to sell a broad-based portal product into corporate environments where SharePoint is already in wide use.
But Oracle is positioning WebCenter Suite as something more robust than "purely ad-hoc" SharePoint installations that mostly play the role of file servers, MacMillan said. "What we're talking about is how you are collaborating around key business processes," he said.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris's e-mail address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Safeguarding the Next-Generation Data Center Use of virtual and cloud servers has exploded. Unfortunately, security often lags behind. McAfee recommends looking at innovative solutions in order to erect...
- Warning: Cloud Data at Risk Experts agree that relying on SaaS vendors to backup and restore your data is dangerous. Yet that's exactly what huge portions of the...
- The Opportunities and Challenges of the Cloud In this report F5 poses questions to IDC analysts, Sally Hudson and Phil Hochmuth, on behalf of F5's customers to better understand the...
- 5 Hybrid Cloud Starting Points Did you know that more than 50% of organizations are already using or planning a move to hybrid cloud?
- DevOps with PureApplication System: Reduce cost and speed delivery with an integrated IBM Cloud solution Join this webcast to hear what ING Netherlands has been able to achieve while deploying DevOps tools from IBM Rational. An ING executive...
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts