Cisco adds Mozy cloud service to desktop Smart Storage box
The Mozy service is said to add an additional layer of data protection to users of the Cisco desktop arrays
Computerworld - Cisco Systems today unveiled a cloud storage feature for its series of entry-level desktop NSS 300 Series Smart Storage storage arrays.
The Mozy hosted backup service, which has been added to the array's management software, is designed to let users set up automatic cloud-based backups, said David Tucker, vice president of Cisco's small business technology group.
"The Mozy feature allows you to specify the files you want backed up to the cloud on a daily basis, so it can be very painless for the customer," Tucker said. "Let's say I've got files critical for my business and want to make sure I go one step further than on-site backup. This allows you to do that."
Cisco launched the NSS 300 Series Smart Storage arrays, its first desktop storage offering, last year. The arrays consist of two-bay, four-bay and six-bay desktop network storage boxes with up to 12TB of capacity based on 2TB SATA drives.
The NSS 300 line supports file sharing and backup for Windows, Mac, and Linux platforms. It can be set up in a variety of RAID configurations including RAID 0, 1, 5 and 6 (dual-disk drive failure resiliency).
Retail pricing of the arrays, which can be configured as network-attached storage (NAS) or as iSCSI target devices, ranges from $913 to $5,625, depending on capacity and functionality.
Mozy online backup service plans start at $145 for 25GB for one year.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian, or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- ESG Lab Report: Virident FlashMAX Connect Performance Advantage with vCache on a single Oracle instance View Now>>
- Accelerating Oracle with Preferred Reads Storage based configuration. View Now>>
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Keys to Securing Data in a Collaborative Workplace Losing data is costly. IT professionals have spent years learning how to protect their organizations from hackers, but how do you ward off...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Foundation You Need to Build a Better Storage Infrastructure Watch this webcast to hear how you can maximize the economics of your data center by modifying your storage footprint and power usage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts