Cisco adds Mozy cloud service to desktop Smart Storage box
The Mozy service is said to add an additional layer of data protection to users of the Cisco desktop arrays
Computerworld - Cisco Systems today unveiled a cloud storage feature for its series of entry-level desktop NSS 300 Series Smart Storage storage arrays.
The Mozy hosted backup service, which has been added to the array's management software, is designed to let users set up automatic cloud-based backups, said David Tucker, vice president of Cisco's small business technology group.
"The Mozy feature allows you to specify the files you want backed up to the cloud on a daily basis, so it can be very painless for the customer," Tucker said. "Let's say I've got files critical for my business and want to make sure I go one step further than on-site backup. This allows you to do that."
Cisco launched the NSS 300 Series Smart Storage arrays, its first desktop storage offering, last year. The arrays consist of two-bay, four-bay and six-bay desktop network storage boxes with up to 12TB of capacity based on 2TB SATA drives.
The NSS 300 line supports file sharing and backup for Windows, Mac, and Linux platforms. It can be set up in a variety of RAID configurations including RAID 0, 1, 5 and 6 (dual-disk drive failure resiliency).
Retail pricing of the arrays, which can be configured as network-attached storage (NAS) or as iSCSI target devices, ranges from $913 to $5,625, depending on capacity and functionality.
Mozy online backup service plans start at $145 for 25GB for one year.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian, or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- 2014 Healthcare Data Management Survey Summary This report provides insights into how much information Healthcare IT organizations are managing, the rate of data growth they are experiencing and which...
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- Server and system administrators challenged to keep up with enterprise storage explosion Read this whitepaper to learn how administrators are leveraging their existing skills to simplify the management of storage and servers.
- A Modern Approach to the Data Deluge Read this whitepaper to learn how infrastructure leaders can confidently manage cost, complexity, and risk, capitalize on emerging technologies, and drive future innovation...
- Brunswick Moves Messaging and Collaboration to the IBM cloud Gerry Orten, Jr, Electronic Messaging Manager at Brunswick talks about why Brunswick moved to the IBM cloud.
- Increase Your Data Center IQ Discover how to improve network efficiency, lower IT costs and more proactively manage your physical, virtual and cloud environments. All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts