Oracle promising 'game-changing' storage announcement
IDG News Service - Oracle is planning to announce what it calls "a dramatic leap in storage technology" during a Jan. 31 webcast.
"We can't tell you just how much this will improve your datacenter until the big event," the company's website states. But customers will experience greatly reduced costs per terabyte as well as lower floor space; "dramatically higher performance; and "greater capability -- optimized for archive and data protection."
No further details were made available by Oracle. One potential clue to the announcement's nature is the fact that the webcast will be hosted by Jim Cates, an Oracle vice president of hardware development.
As of July, Cates was vice president of tape development. Oracle announced a series of upgrades to its StorageTek tape storage portfolio at that time. However, it was not clear Thursday whether Cates is still Oracle's point man for tape.
An Oracle spokeswoman Deborah Hellinger declined comment.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris's e-mail address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Using VM Archiving to Solve VM Sprawl This CommVault whitepaper discusses how archiving virtual machines can mitigate VM sprawl with a comprehensive approach to VM lifecycle management.
- Keep Your Network Available, Efficient and Secure Make the most of your network by working with experts who "get it." CDW and F5 have partnered to keep networks highly optimized....
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts