Lenovo to focus on tablets, smartphones with new unit
IDG News Service - Chinese PC-maker Lenovo has setup a new business unit to create tablets and smartphones, two of the hottest emerging areas of the gadget sector.
The new unit, called the Mobile Internet and Digital Home Business Group, will also develop devices for cloud computing and smart TV services, and applications for the company's mobile products.
Lenovo has already promoted devices in both tablets and smartphones. The company unveiled its first tablet computer, the LePad, at this year's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. The Android device is scheduled to go on sale in China this quarter, although Lenovo has yet to decide if it will be sold overseas. The company, however, plans to launch several other Android-based tablets in the U.S., possibly during the second half of the year.
Lenovo also launched a new smartphone in China last year called the LePhone. The company sold 400,000 units of the Android-based device in the first four months it was on the market. Like the LePad, the LePhone has yet to be sold overseas. Company executives have said they would like to see the LePhone develop a stronger following in China, before releasing it to other countries.
The company has chosen Liu Jun, the former senior vice president and president of Lenovo's Product Group, to lead the new business unit.
- The New IT Explore enhanced productivity for IT staff, and seamless integration across IT operation management systems. Download now.
- ACM Leadership Guide Knowledge worker effectiveness has emerged as a top priority to both optimize the customer experience and help employees work more efficiently. See how...
- The Cloud BI that IT and Developers Demand Jaspersoft for AWS allows developers and IT professionals to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics...
- AWS and Jaspersoft Disrupt BI TIBCO Jaspersoft for AWS and Amazon Redshift disrupt business intelligence with cost-effective analytics in the cloud. Available by the hour in a pay-as-you-go...
- Bringing software licenses into compliance A hospital group received a software license audit, so they called in CDW to help define and manage their software licensing status.
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.