Femtocells may boost more than just cellular coverage, study finds
IDG News Service - Femtocells will soon be able to improve home security, personal safety and help integrate smartphones with TVs, laptops and media players, in addition to improving cellular coverage in the home, ABI Research said on Monday.
ABI foresees a future where children arrive home from school, the femtocell registers the presence of their mobile phones and sends out SMS notifications to the parents. Applications may also be able to turn on lights or activate security systems, while others can be used to synchronize content between mobile phones and TVs, laptops and media players, according to ABI.
The common theme is that the applications all take advantage of user presence and location. Femtocells are small base stations, and they know when a registered user is in its coverage zone, which the applications in turn can take advantage of.
So far, mobile operators haven't been able to take advantage of the application revolution on smartphones. But femtocells could give them a much needed boost. However, the operators need to act fast, as the popularity of Wi-Fi and GPS-based applications could pose a threat, according to ABI.
ABI isn't the only market research company that thinks the popularity of femtocells will grow. Operator momentum has continued to grow over the past three months with deployment announcements in North America, Asia, Australia and Europe, Informa Telecoms & Media said in December.
In addition to that, semiconductor heavyweight Broadcom entered the market through acquisitions, "bringing considerable mass consumer electronics clout into this network infrastructure business", according to Informa.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts