Apple to give away $10K as App Store nears 10B downloads
Earlier contest at 1B mark gave away $10K, MacBook Pro, iPod Touch
Computerworld - Apple will reward the customer who downloads the 10 billionth app from the iOS App Store with a $10,000 iTunes gift card, the company said today.
The company's e-mart for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch applications is nearing the 10 billion download mark, according to a live counter that Apple has posted on its site.
"As of today, nearly 10 billion apps have been downloaded from the App Store worldwide," Apple said on the site hosting the flickering counter. "So we want to say thanks."
Apple has touted App Store download numbers numerous times since the marketplace went live in July 2008 alongside the debut of the iPhone 3G. Currently, the App Store offers software for the iPhone and iPod Touch, as well as Apple's iPad tablet.
Shortly after the store opened its doors, Apple issued a statement boasting that customers had downloaded more than 10 million applications in the first weekend.
The App Store passed the one billionth milestone in April 2009, just nine months after its launch. A similar contest at the time awarded a 13-year-old Connecticut boy a $10,000 iTunes gift card, as well as an iPod Touch, a Time Capsule backup device and a MacBook Pro notebook.
At the counter's current pace, the 10 billionth app should be downloaded sometime on Sunday Jan. 23.
The Mac App Store, a companion market to the iOS App Store that deals free and for-a-fee software for the Mac, launched Jan. 6. According to Apple, customers downloaded one million Mac applications from the store in the first day.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
- Mac sales will again outstrip industry average
- Apple, IBM spell out enterprise support for iPhone, iPad
- Timeline: How Apple's iOS gained enterprise cred
- Apple and IBM: A winning combo for IT
- Why Microsoft isn't spooked by the Apple-IBM alliance
- Apple-IBM deal threatens Android's enterprise push
- IBM and Apple ties go way back
- Apple fashions 'brilliant' partnership with IBM for instant enterprise cred
- Why the Apple-IBM deal matters
- Update: Apple and IBM team up on 'historic' enterprise push
Read more about Mobile Apps in Computerworld's Mobile Apps Topic Center.
- Use the Mobile App Mix to Choose an Enterprise App Store Strategy In this research report Gartner outlines how organizations can optimally secure, distribute, and manage mobile applications for employees and contracted workers.
- The Case for Mobile Apps Today's mobile apps turn handheld devices into e-book readers, portable navigation systems, digital wallets and more. And for organizations with mobile workers, they...
- The 5 Big Lies About Going Mobile You've heard about the power of mobile to change your business. But have you realized your mobile potential? It's about much more than...
- Transforming enterprise applications for mobile environments This new white paper explains how Dell Application Modernization and Development Solution Set can help you understand when to develop new mobile apps,...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator... All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!