Microsoft re-issues Outlook 2007 update after Dec. blunder
Fixes Microsoft-induced connection and performance problems, users report
Computerworld - Nearly a month after it yanked an Outlook 2007 update over connection and performance problems, Microsoft this week re-released the patch to correct its mistakes.
Microsoft re-issued the Outlook 2007 update on Tuesday, saying it had addressed the problems with connecting to mail servers, sluggish folders and automatic archiving that surfaced almost immediately after the original fix was offered to users Dec. 14.
The company pulled the update from its patch service two days later and apologized for the gaffe.
Several users said that the new patch solved their problems.
"This new version seems to work correctly," said someone identified as "alspar" on the Microsoft support forum.
"It works perfectly on my Windows 7 64-bit rig," added "Perauak" on Wednesday. "No more slow folder switching or archive/auto-archive issues."
Microsoft has pulled the plug on updates before. In April, it retracted a patch for Windows 2000 -- which at the time was still supported -- over what it called "quality issues." And in early 2008, the company yanked an update designed to prep Windows Vista for Service Pack 1 (SP1) after users flooded support forums with tales of endless reboots.
The Outlook 2007 update was re-issued the same day Microsoft patched three vulnerabilities in Windows, including a critical bug that hackers can exploit by tricking people into visiting malicious Web sites.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- Cybersecurity Imperatives: Reinvent your Network Security The Rise of CyberSecurity
- Surescripts Case Study- Securing Keys and Certificates Surescripts implemented Venafi's Trust Protection Platform™ to secure digital keys and certificates, ensure the privacy and confidentiality of electronic clinical information for its...
- Ponemon 2014 SSH Security Vulnerability Report According to research by the Ponemon Institute, 3 out of 4 enterprises have no security controls in place for SSH which leaves organizations...
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities.
- Deep Dive into Advanced Networking and Security with Hybrid Cloud Security and networking are among the top concerns when moving workloads to the cloud. VMware vCloud® Hybrid Service™ enables you to extend your... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!