Microsoft re-issues Outlook 2007 update after Dec. blunder
Fixes Microsoft-induced connection and performance problems, users report
Computerworld - Nearly a month after it yanked an Outlook 2007 update over connection and performance problems, Microsoft this week re-released the patch to correct its mistakes.
Microsoft re-issued the Outlook 2007 update on Tuesday, saying it had addressed the problems with connecting to mail servers, sluggish folders and automatic archiving that surfaced almost immediately after the original fix was offered to users Dec. 14.
The company pulled the update from its patch service two days later and apologized for the gaffe.
Several users said that the new patch solved their problems.
"This new version seems to work correctly," said someone identified as "alspar" on the Microsoft support forum.
"It works perfectly on my Windows 7 64-bit rig," added "Perauak" on Wednesday. "No more slow folder switching or archive/auto-archive issues."
Microsoft has pulled the plug on updates before. In April, it retracted a patch for Windows 2000 -- which at the time was still supported -- over what it called "quality issues." And in early 2008, the company yanked an update designed to prep Windows Vista for Service Pack 1 (SP1) after users flooded support forums with tales of endless reboots.
The Outlook 2007 update was re-issued the same day Microsoft patched three vulnerabilities in Windows, including a critical bug that hackers can exploit by tricking people into visiting malicious Web sites.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!