IDG News Service - Google is accelerating its push in the e-book space by acquiring eBook Technologies, a company that specializes in both hardware and content distribution for electronic readers.
Google isn't divulging the financial details of the deal, which it announced in a statement Wednesday. eBook is focused on designing and developing technology for creating, distributing, and controlling content to be used on tablets and other portable reading devices, it said.
A message on eBook's website says it will work with Google on "providing a first-class reading experience on emerging tablets, e-readers and other portable devices."
A cached version of the products section of eBook's website explains that its platform includes electronic reading devices, an "Online Bookshelf" (which is filled with the user's personal content), an Internet-based content sales and delivery system, and content conversion and publication tools.
Exactly how Google plans to use all this remains to be seen. But the number of tablets based on its Android operating system is growing rapidly. Also, the deal comes little over a month after Google launched its Google eBookstore, where users can browse and search through "the largest ebooks collection in the world with more than three million titles including hundreds of thousands for sale", according to a blog posted at the time,
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- SANS: Next-Generation Datacenters = Next-Generation Security This whitepaper takes a look at some new technology that may allow security teams to implement more flexible and capable protection models in...
- Is SQL Server AlwaysOn really as powerful? Tips and Tricks from the field With the introduction of AlwaysOn, Windows Clustering Services is now more critical than ever.
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center... All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts