IDG News Service - Google is accelerating its push in the e-book space by acquiring eBook Technologies, a company that specializes in both hardware and content distribution for electronic readers.
Google isn't divulging the financial details of the deal, which it announced in a statement Wednesday. eBook is focused on designing and developing technology for creating, distributing, and controlling content to be used on tablets and other portable reading devices, it said.
A message on eBook's website says it will work with Google on "providing a first-class reading experience on emerging tablets, e-readers and other portable devices."
A cached version of the products section of eBook's website explains that its platform includes electronic reading devices, an "Online Bookshelf" (which is filled with the user's personal content), an Internet-based content sales and delivery system, and content conversion and publication tools.
Exactly how Google plans to use all this remains to be seen. But the number of tablets based on its Android operating system is growing rapidly. Also, the deal comes little over a month after Google launched its Google eBookstore, where users can browse and search through "the largest ebooks collection in the world with more than three million titles including hundreds of thousands for sale", according to a blog posted at the time,
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- Mobile Apps and Devices Slash Customer Cycle Time Consolidated Engineering Laboratories' field employees used to collect data on triplicate forms that were sometimes hard to read and difficult to manage. After...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts