Mac sales climb as rivals lose U.S. share
Kitagawa resisted the term "cannibalization" for what tablets are doing to PC sales, saying that people weren't necessarily buying a tablet instead of a personal computer, but were buying a tablet now, then postponing upgrading the home machine.
"Some consumers are extending the life cycle of their PCs," she said. "They're holding onto the PC, but spending their discretionary income on something else, whether that's a media tablet or a game console or just eating out more."
Kitagawa said the decline in sales of traditional PCs will likely accelerate in 2011 as tablet prices drop with the expected introduction of Android-based devices that undercut the iPad's price.
IDC made the same prediction.
"This situation is likely to persist in 2011, if not worsen, as a wave of media tablets could put a dent in the traditional PC market," said IDC research director David Daoud in a statement Wednesday.
Gartner and IDC separate tablet sales from personal computer numbers, but if they put the iPad in the PC pigeonhole -- as they do netbooks, for instance -- Apple' would likely have captured the world's No. 3 spot.
Other analysts, like Brian Marshall of Gleacher & Co., have estimated worldwide iPad sales in the fourth quarter at 6 million, Mac sales during the same period at over 4 million. The total of 10 million would move Apple up to third place in IDC's global top five, behind only HP and Dell. The same 10 million would put Apple in fourth place on Gartner's list.
Apple will release its official Mac sales figures next Tuesday, Jan. 18, when it releases its fourth-quarter earnings report.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer, or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about IT Industry in Computerworld's IT Industry Topic Center.
- A Reference Architecture for the Internet of Things The aim of this is to provide Architects and Developers of IoT projects with an effective starting point that covers the major requirements...
- How to Reduce Hardware & Infrastructure Costs Through Data In this paper, we take a look at how organizations are revisiting their network and server architecture in a bid to address the...
- Software Build Acceleration, Analytics and Build Clouds Discover how to dramatically speed up software builds by automatically distributing build jobs over scalable resource clouds and multi-core desktops, with potential savings...
- Printer Installer: Eliminating Print Servers Printer Installer is an on-premise web application that enables you to centrally manage and deploy Windows shared or direct iP printers.
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success! All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!