IDG News Service - Groupon has completed its $950 million funding round and the money will be used to improve its technology infrastructure, continue its business expansion and let employees and existing investors cash out stock, the online coupon provider said late Monday.
With Allen & Co. as the financial adviser, the round included investments from Andreessen Horowitz, Battery Ventures, DST, Greylock Partners, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, Maverick Capital, Silver Lake and Technology Crossover Ventures.
In a filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission in December, Groupon said that it was more than halfway through the funding round and that about $345 million of the money would go as payments to executive officers, directors and early backers of the company.
In 2010, Groupon spread its operations from one to 35 countries, set up shop in close to 500 new local markets, increased its subscriber base from 2 million to 50 million and offered more than 100,000 deals from 58,000 businesses, the company said on Monday.
Founded in 2008, Groupon partners with local merchants to offer steep discounts on their products and services. However, the deals become valid only when a minimum number of Groupon members commit to them.
Groupon, which has about 3,000 employees, takes a commission from each deal. The consensus from financial analysts is that Groupon was on track to generate about $500 million in revenue in 2010.
Groupon's board reportedly walked away from a $6 billion acquisition offer by Google in early December.
If Google had bought Groupon, it would have put the search company in a leading position in the thriving online coupon market and given its local advertising business a significant boost.
However, the deal would have been by far Google's largest acquisition, and the price tag made industry observers and Google investors flinch, because Groupon's business model is being successfully mimicked by many competitors already.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Mobile Applications Case Study: 8 Billion Transactions a Day The story documents how the online brokerage company tradeMONSTER created a custom mobile app and the success gleaned from this initiative. Also covered...
- The Case for Mobile Apps Today's mobile apps turn handheld devices into e-book readers, portable navigation systems, digital wallets and more. And for organizations with mobile workers, they...
- Mobile Expense Management--Picking up the Money on the Ground Integrating and managing mobility expenses across multiple carriers can generate savings and improve organizational decision making.
- Partners in Mobile Device Management: AirWatch & CDW When it comes to Mobile Device Management, it's not just what you know. It's who you know. That's why CDW partners with industry...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- Mobile Apps and Devices Slash Customer Cycle Time Consolidated Engineering Laboratories' field employees used to collect data on triplicate forms that were sometimes hard to read and difficult to manage. After...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts