Facebook eyes possible IPO, public financial disclosures
Social networking site reportedly nears critical shareholder threshold
Computerworld - Just days after news surfaced that Facebook had received a massive cash infusion, reports are out that the social network is preparing to disclose financial information or prepping for an initial public offering.
The Wall Street Journal reported Thursday afternoon that Facebook is on the cusp of gaining 500 shareholders, an invisible line enforced by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) that will force the company's hand.
Citing a 100-page memo reportedly distributed to potential company investors, the Journal noted that Facebook expects to cross the 500-shareholder threshold this year. Once it does, SEC rules dictate that the company file financial information, regardless of whether the company is traded publicly.
That report comes just a few months after Facebook board member, venture capitalist and PayPal co-founder Peter Thiel said that Facebook was looking at making an initial public offering sometime after late 2012.
The Journal also reported that the Facebook memo notes that the social networking company will "likely" be a publicly traded company by next year.
"I think that [CEO Mark] Zuckerberg is wise to put off going public for a while," said Dan Olds, an analyst with The Gabriel Consulting Group. "Facebook has done a great job at building up a massive number of engaged users and there is big value in that. But this is a company that is going to get a huge amount of scrutiny from every direction and they need their ducks in a row before going public."
Olds added that Facebook executives will need to make sure they have several things in place, including management controls and compliance mechanisms.
Facebook made big news earlier this week when reports hit that the company had just received a $500 million infusion of cash from global investment bank Goldman Sachs and a Russian investor. Goldman Sachs valued the company at $50 billion.
This news also comes on the heels of widespread speculation in the past day that another social networking company - LinkedIn - is working on an IPO of its own.
Reports are rampant that LinkedIn actually will beat out social networking heavyweights like Facebook and Twitter to the IPO gate.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is email@example.com.
- Update: Facebook back up after crash
- What to expect in Facebook's earnings call today
- Could you quit Facebook for 99 days?
- Facebook is a school yard bully that's going down
- EPIC says Facebook 'messed with people's minds,' seeks FTC sanctions
- 7 things you need to know about Facebook's mood experiment
- Facebook emotional manipulation test turns users into 'lab rats'
- Facebook tries to stop Snapchat drain with Slingshot
- TMI! Facebook moves to stop over-sharing
- Inside Facebook's brilliant plan to hog your data
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- Simple Solution, Big Capability Meet growing employee and business demands by connecting up to 1,000 users with powerful collaboration capabilities with a single, integrated platform -- Cisco...
- The DDoS Threat Spectrum Bolstered by favorable economics, today's global botnets are using distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks to target firewalls, web services, and applications, often simultaneously.
- Need to Replace MS Threat Management Gateway? Read this article to learn how F5's Secure Web Gateway solution provides a full set of features that can help you successfully migrate...
- The Shortfall of Network Load Balancing Applications running across networks encounter a wide range of performance, security, and availability challenges as IT department strive to deliver fast, secure access...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts