Skype adds video-over-3G capabilities to its iPhone app
IDG News Service - Skype has updated its free iPhone app, adding the ability to make video calls over 3G mobile networks. The updated app is available for download from Apple's app store, Skype announced Thursday.
The app runs on the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch, and can make or receive Skype-to-Skype video calls over 3G or Wi-Fi networks, although to get the best quality, Skype recommends using a Wi-Fi network with a strong signal. Skype will not charge for the video calls, although network operators may charge for the data traffic, the company warned.
The new video calling feature -- compatible with Skype's latest apps for PCs running Windows, Linux or Mac OS X -- will provide additional competition for Apple's fledgling Facetime video calling service, which only runs on Apple hardware and cannot yet make calls over 3G mobile networks, only Wi-Fi or (in the case of the Macintosh version) fixed network connections.
Skype for iPhone 3.0 will run on the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and fourth-generation iPod Touch running iOS 4.0 or above. On the iPad and the third-generation iPod Touch, the app will only be able to receive video, not transmit it, because those devices lack a camera, Skype said.
Unleashing extra traffic from millions of iPhone owners will test the strength of Skype's peer-to-peer calling network, which suffered a major crash a week ago. That incident, between Dec. 22 and Dec. 23, occurred when late responses from an overloaded cluster of servers caused clients running a particular version of Skype's software to crash.
Some of those crashed clients were "supernodes" in Skype's network, responsible for coordinating calls between other clients, and their failure created additional load on the remaining systems, which quickly failed in their turn.
Peter Sayer covers open source software, European intellectual property legislation and general technology breaking news for IDG News Service. Send comments and news tips to Peter at email@example.com.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts