InfoWorld - Microsoft is offering Christmas-themed HTML5 "experiences" for users to run in their browser, focused on hardware-accelerated HTML5. Demonstrations are entitled Santa Workshop and HTML5 Blizzard.
[ Microsoft this week introduced its HTML5 Labs site for prototyping HTML5 technologies.| Get your websites up to speed with HTML5 today using the techniques in InfoWorld's HTML5 Deep Dive PDF how-to report. ]
"Check out Santa's Workshop, where the speed of your browser on your PC determines how many elves help pack Santa's bag for the big night, and how fast they work," said Rob Mauceri, Microsoft group program manager for Internet Explorer, in the company's IEBlog. "We built this experience using HTML5 technologies like integrated SVG graphics and HTML5 audio."
This demonstration, however, requires ECMAscript 5 properties API support as well as possibly a browser upgrade. Microsoft is offering downloads of the IE9 Beta and IE9 Platform Preview as possible options for viewing the demonstration. Platform Preview is intended for Web developers.
With HTML5 Blizzard, users watch snowflakes falling. "The more snowflakes you see, the faster your browser and PC. This experience combines HTML5 canvas, SVG, audio, CSS3, and Web Open Font Format fonts together to create a winter wonderland," Mauceri said.
While Microsoft's Silverlight has been viewed as a rival to standard HTML5 technologies, the company nonetheless sees a place for both Silverlight and HTML5.
Microsoft said on Thursday it has not shared the general release date planned for IE9.
This article, "Microsoft offers holiday-themed HTML5 demos," was originally published at InfoWorld.com. Follow the latest developments in business technology news and get a digest of the key stories each day in the InfoWorld Daily newsletter.
Read more about developer world in InfoWorld's Developer World Channel.
- DevOps meets ALM in the Cloud - Cloud DevOps PaaS To improve software delivery performance and effectiveness, teams need automation, governance, architecture best practices, and increased team collaboration. Find out more.
- Coding with JRebel: Java Forever Changed With JRebel, developers get to see their code changes immediately, fine-tune their code with incremental changes, debug, explore and deploy their code with...
- What Developers Want: The End of Application Redeploys Eliminate application restarts in Java with JRebel! JRebel is a JVM plugin that eliminates application redeploys from the Java development cycle, a process...
- How a German energy company saved 1 day per week of development time with JRebel Check out the following case study to see how Heliocentris, a global energy supply and efficiency company deployed a development solution that was...
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts