Update: Teradata to buy marketing vendor Aprimo for $525M
IDG News Service - Teradata Wednesday agreed to buy integrated marketing software vendor Aprimo for $525 million. The transaction is expected to close in the first quarter of next year.
Aprimo sells a range of software-as-a-service (SaaS) products for both business-to-business and business-to-consumer marketing.
Teradata plans to combine Aprimo's technology with its own analytics and data warehousing products, enabling customers to run more marketing campaigns faster and more effectively over multiple channels, the company said.
The announcement follows IBM's acquisition of Aprimo competitor Unica earlier this year. Companies such as SAS Institute and Alterian also offer similar software.
Teradata plans to continue marketing Aprimo's software under that name. However, the companies will develop a joint product road map once the deal closes, said Darryl McDonald, executive vice president of business development and marketing at Teradata.
Teradata is already supporting marketing programs with its technologies, but the addition of Aprimo will allow it to provide a broader scope of capabilities, he said.
Aprimo's products will remain open to other database platforms besides Teradata, he added. "[Customers] can choose Teradata where it makes sense, or Microsoft or Oracle where it makes sense."
McDonald downplayed a suggestion the Aprimo deal could put a damper on certain partnerships, particularly its pact with SAS, which has optimized its marketing automation software for Teradata.
The companies' relationship won't change, McDonald insisted. "If anything, it's an opportunity for us to discuss [offering customers] a more complete set of software tools."
Overall, Teradata's move represents the latest effort by vendors to build out marketing platforms that can reach customers wherever they may be, while mining large volumes of data for insights.
Along with Unica, IBM also scooped up Web analytics vendor Coremetrics this year.
Adobe is in the game as well, furthering its "customer experience management" strategy with high-profile acquisitions like Omniture, another prominent web analytics company, and Day Software for Web content management.
The related trend of social media monitoring is set to heat up further in 2011, according to a new Forrester Research report.
Under the header of "listening platforms," the report identifies three product subgroups: social dashboards, multichannel analytics providers and listening service partners.
The listening platform market remains fragmented and could see a run of consolidation next year as CRM (customer relationship management) vendors as well as platform companies look to flesh out their social monitoring capabilities, Forrester analyst Zach Hofer-Shall wrote.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for the IDG News Service. Chris's e-mail address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts