Microsoft's Dryad technology to take on Google's MapReduce
IDG News Service - Addressing the growing market for tools that handle large data sets, Microsoft has released a beta set of technologies, called Dryad, to manage and analyze large amounts of information across a cluster of Windows Servers.
The company has released Community Technology Preview editions of three packages -- called Dryad, DSC, and DryadLINQ -- that will install Dryad on Windows HPC Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1.
"These technologies allow you to process large volumes of data in many types of applications, including data-mining applications, image and stream processing, and some scientific computations," the Microsoft Windows HPC Team Blog post stated.
First developed by Microsoft research, Dryad is a platform for running programs across multiple servers. Dryad-based programs can be broken up across multiple nodes. The pieces are connected using a process similar to Unix pipes.
Dryad can be used to analyze log data and other forms of massive collections of non-relational data, much like Google MapReduce technology does, explained Bob Muglia, Microsoft's president of server and tools, in an interview with IDG reporters.
Because Microsoft is still testing the software, the beta release can only work with up to 2,048 partitions and does not support all queries. Microsoft itself is using parts of Dryad for its own online advertising network.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- The Value of IBM InfoSphere BigInsights The IBM® InfoSphere® BigInsights™ software platform helps firms discover and analyze business insights hidden in large volumes of a diverse range of data....
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Unified Communications 101 What's the best way to implement a unified communications solution for your organization? Join independent networking expert, Ed Tittel, as he weighs the... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts