Facebook's Zuckerberg visits office of China search firm Baidu
IDG News Service - Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg visited the campus of China's largest search engine Baidu on Monday, meeting with the company's CEO Robin Li and other senior staff.
Baidu confirmed that Zuckerberg had made the visit, but it wouldn't comment on what they were talking about. Photos on a Chinese microblog also showed Zuckerberg walking with Li.
Zuckerberg said he would be visiting China over the holidays, according to an interview with Time magazine. Zuckerberg's girlfriend is Chinese and has family in the country. In another interview with the media, the Facebook CEO said he has a personal interest in China and even takes daily Chinese language lessons.
Facebook, however, is currently blocked in China, along with other popular U.S. sites such as YouTube and Twitter. China's government routinely monitors and block websites for politically sensitive content. With Facebook blocked, other China-based social networking sites have grown in popularity among the nation's Internet users.
China is one of the world's major Internet markets, with 440 million users who browse the web, according to the Internet Society of China. It's top search engine is Baidu, a Chinese company which holds a 73% share of the market, according to Beijing-based research firm Analysys International. Google is a distant second with a 21% share.
Zuckerberg and Li have met before at past conferences.
- Data on the Move = Business on the Move; How Strategic Secure Managed File Transfer Adds Value and Drives Business This whitepaper describes the formal and informal file-sharing methods business employees use to perform their daily functions and explains that, from sending small...
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!