Facebook's Zuckerberg visits office of China search firm Baidu
IDG News Service - Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg visited the campus of China's largest search engine Baidu on Monday, meeting with the company's CEO Robin Li and other senior staff.
Baidu confirmed that Zuckerberg had made the visit, but it wouldn't comment on what they were talking about. Photos on a Chinese microblog also showed Zuckerberg walking with Li.
Zuckerberg said he would be visiting China over the holidays, according to an interview with Time magazine. Zuckerberg's girlfriend is Chinese and has family in the country. In another interview with the media, the Facebook CEO said he has a personal interest in China and even takes daily Chinese language lessons.
Facebook, however, is currently blocked in China, along with other popular U.S. sites such as YouTube and Twitter. China's government routinely monitors and block websites for politically sensitive content. With Facebook blocked, other China-based social networking sites have grown in popularity among the nation's Internet users.
China is one of the world's major Internet markets, with 440 million users who browse the web, according to the Internet Society of China. It's top search engine is Baidu, a Chinese company which holds a 73% share of the market, according to Beijing-based research firm Analysys International. Google is a distant second with a 21% share.
Zuckerberg and Li have met before at past conferences.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- IDC Report: The Future of eMail is Social This paper discusses the changing nature of collaboration and work fueled by the social Web by examining current email trends and the emergence...
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts