PC World - Can we talk? Based on the e-mails I get every day, I know a lot of you are still using Windows XP. I can understand why; it's like a comfortable old shoe. Plus, it's bought and paid for. Windows 7 probably seems stiff and scary, and it's not like Microsoft is handing out free upgrades.
That said, it's time to move forward. Time to put Windows XP out to pasture. Out with the old, in with the new. I hope you'll trust me that I'm not shilling for Microsoft, here, but rather nudging you toward a better overall computing experience.
Here are five reasons I think it's time you adopted Windows 7:
1. It will solve your networking headaches. Windows XP can be a major pain when it comes to connecting networked PCs. Windows 7, thanks in part to HomeGroup, makes it easy-peasy.
2. It's significantly more secure. Windows XP is like a leaky balsa-wood boat floating in a sea of malware. Windows 7 is more like a battleship. I say this based on experience; I'm running nothing more than Windows 7 and a couple free third-party security tools.
3. It makes finding stuff so much easier. Thanks to features like Libraries and the ubiquitous Search box, you no longer have to waste (as much) time hunting for documents, photos, MP3s, and the like.
4. Windows Media Center is awesome, especially if you pair it with the Ceton InfiniTV 4 card. Seriously, it's better than TiVo.
5. It's just...better! Remember, that's merely my opinion talking, but Windows 7 is packed with little conveniences that make life easier. You don't fully appreciate them until you switch back to an XP system and your productivity nosedives.
So there you have my five reasons. Do you have more to add? Or do you think Windows XP is just fine, thank you, and I should keep my opinions to myself? (Fat chance of that! :)
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- Pragmatic Endpoint Management: Empowering an SMB Workforce in the Age of Mobility Lacking the time for proper training and education, SMB administrators often resort to taking shortcuts to keep their environment running.This paper discusses the...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Windows White Papers | Webcasts