Gartner: Enterprise adoption of social software grows
IDG News Service - By the end of this year, companies will have spent 15 percent more on enterprise social software than in 2009, a growth rate expected to carry over into next year, according to Gartner.
Worldwide spending will reach $664.4 million this year and increase almost 16 percent next year to $769.2 million, Gartner said Thursday.
Enterprise social software for the workplace use the Web 2.0 collaboration applications first popularized among consumers. These applications include blogs, wikis, Twitter-like microblogging, Facebook-like social networking, content tagging and rating, discussion forums and syndicated content feeds.
To make them suitable for business use, enterprise social software vendors typically add IT management, security and control features, as well as capabilities for integration with other workplace tools.
A growing number of companies are finding that these applications complement and extend conventional collaboration and communication platforms focused on e-mail, custom tools and intranets by providing new, flexible and informal ways for employees to interact and share information.
The most popular delivery model for this software is as cloud-hosted software-as-a-service, according to Gartner.
The market includes offerings from traditional collaboration vendors like Microsoft, IBM and Novell, as well as from specialists in this niche, such as Socialtext and Jive Software.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts