Gartner: Enterprise adoption of social software grows
IDG News Service - By the end of this year, companies will have spent 15 percent more on enterprise social software than in 2009, a growth rate expected to carry over into next year, according to Gartner.
Worldwide spending will reach $664.4 million this year and increase almost 16 percent next year to $769.2 million, Gartner said Thursday.
Enterprise social software for the workplace use the Web 2.0 collaboration applications first popularized among consumers. These applications include blogs, wikis, Twitter-like microblogging, Facebook-like social networking, content tagging and rating, discussion forums and syndicated content feeds.
To make them suitable for business use, enterprise social software vendors typically add IT management, security and control features, as well as capabilities for integration with other workplace tools.
A growing number of companies are finding that these applications complement and extend conventional collaboration and communication platforms focused on e-mail, custom tools and intranets by providing new, flexible and informal ways for employees to interact and share information.
The most popular delivery model for this software is as cloud-hosted software-as-a-service, according to Gartner.
The market includes offerings from traditional collaboration vendors like Microsoft, IBM and Novell, as well as from specialists in this niche, such as Socialtext and Jive Software.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts