CSO - What do CSOs and other IT security experts expect to be top-of-mind cloud security issues in 2011? Here are five things to watch for in the coming year:
Smartphone data slinging
More users will be accessing large amounts of data on the devices of their choice, says Randy Barr, CSO at Qualys Inc. and member of the Cloud Security Alliance (CSA).
"This comes with a lot of unaddressed security issues," Barr says. "We can expect new solutions to address mobile devices, but could see a large data breach to expose the issue of mobile security before we see a solution." Among the possible scenarios, Barr says, are insecure cloud-based backup and highly confidential data on mobile devices.
"There are some interesting inter-dependencies when using multiple cloud services on mobile devices, with possibly different security models and assumptions," he says. A hacked cloud provider could provide mass access to confidential mobile device data when mobile users are using cloud-based mobile device support, he says. In addition, loss or theft of mobile device could provide root-level access to cloud services and data. Mobile apps are often providing direct and automated access to cloud services and data, he says. If an admin-level person's mobile device is stolen, this could be a major threat to highly confidential data or even cloud services administered by such a person from an insecure mobile device.
MORE ABOUT CLOUD SECURITY
- 2010: Security for large-company cloud providers
- 2010: In security outsourcers we trust
- 2010: Akamai releases 'game changing' cloud-based payment service
- 2008: Cloud security strategies: Where does IDS fit in?
2. Need for better access control and identity management
"The cloud by nature is highly virtualized and highly federated, and you need an approach to establish control and manage identities across your cloud and other peoples' clouds," says Alan Boehme, senior vice president of IT strategy and architecture at financial services firm ING.
"There are some third parties that have delivered products and services that will address these issues, but they might not be adequate for large enterprises that have a mix of legacy and cloud components."
3. Ongoing compliance concerns
"I think that compliance, especially PCI, is likely to continue to be a security issue," says Andy Ellis, CSO at Akamai.
"Organizations still often need to come to grips with completely different processes that they have for managing data and apps in the cloud. And I think we will hear more rumblings about health-care data in the cloud."
4. Risk of multiple cloud tenants
Given that most cloud services make heavy use of virtualization technology, the risks associated with multiple organizations' data housed on a single physical hypervisor platform exist, and will continue to unless specific segmentation measures are enacted, says Dave Shackleford, director of security assessments and risk & compliance at Sword & Shield Enterprise Security, and a member of the faculty of research firm IANS.
- How Four Citrix Customers Solved the Enterprise Mobility Challenge Managing mobile devices, data and all types of apps-Windows, datacenter, web and native mobile- through a single solution.
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- AIIM Trendscape: The New Mobile Reality This AIIM Trendscape report shares data, expert opinions, and a unique perspective on the impact of cloud and mobility in the enterprise, surfacing...
- Empowering Your Mobile Workers A modern mobile IT strategy is no longer an option, it is an absolute necessity. Here's how some of the nation's most progressive...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts