Top Twitter topics of 2010 include iPad, Google Android
Gadgets, teen stars, sports and spills were all trending at various times
Computerworld - Wonder what people were talking about this past year?
Well, Twitter can tell you what we've all been tweeting about -- and that's a pretty good barometer of what's on a lot of minds.
"From earthquakes and politics to pop stars and hash tags, Twitter Trends are a window into what the world is talking about," wrote Jodi Olson, a Twitter spokeswoman, in a blog post. "These Trends indicate the things that are most meaningful in our lives. Each day on Twitter, people tweet about news, sports, entertainment and cool new technology -- and everything else in between."
So what were the top things that people around the world were tweeting about in 2010? Here's what Twitter figured out:
The Gulf oil spill was the most tweeted about topic of the year, according to Olson. The top tweet topic corresponds to one of the most searched-for topics this year, as well.
Earlier this month, Yahoo reported that the Gulf oil spill was the most searched-for topic on all of its sites. People went online in droves to search for where to watch the live, online feed of the oil leak, efforts to cap the spill and to get information about the spill's environmental impact.
For Twitter, after BP's devastating oil spill, there was a wide-ranging mix of hot topics in '10 - a sporting event, a natural disaster, high-tech device and a celebrity that comes into play for the rest of the top 10 list.
The rest of the top 10 include the FIFA World Cup; inception; the earthquake in Haiti; the loud vuvuzelas played at the World Cup games; Apple's popular iPad; Google Android; teen heart throb Justin Bieber; Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows, and Pulpo Paul, the famous German octopus that seemed to predict the winner of each of Germany's seven matches in the 2010 World Cup.
Twitter also pulled out a list for the top 10 technology tweets for 2010:
- Apple iPad
- Google Android
- Apple iOS
- Apple iPhone
- Call of Duty Black Ops
- New Twitter
- MacBook Air
- Google Instant
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Twitter's slipping user growth spooks investors
- Get ready to tweet your questions for Twitter's first earnings call
- Super Bowl sets Twitter record, as Volkswagen launches social war room
- Perspective: Twitter's success opens up IPO pipeline
- Update: Twitter goes public at $45 a share
- With IPO cash influx, Twitter could be bigger threat to Facebook
- Ahead of IPO, Twitter shines up multimedia image
- Twitter kicks off pre-IPO investor roadshow
- As its IPO looms, Twitter faces investor grilling
- Twitter experiments with 'Event Parrot' -- a news delivery service
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Face Time Anytime Real-time communications facilitates team collaboration from nearly anywhere in the world. With facts and figures you can use to justify an investment
- Riverbed Stingray Application Firewall: Securing Cloud Applications with a Distributed Web Application Firewall Responsibility over IT security is moving away from the network and IT infrastructure and to the application and software architecture itself. IT organizations...
- Now is the time to implement a video conference solution Video conferencing is getting a lot of buzz lately due to the recent cost decrease, making it tangible for many law firms. It's...
- Video drives engagement Achieving maximum results means building a solid platform and network infrastructure. As digital age unfolds, it's clear that the ability to communicate effectively...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts