Top Twitter topics of 2010 include iPad, Google Android
Gadgets, teen stars, sports and spills were all trending at various times
Computerworld - Wonder what people were talking about this past year?
Well, Twitter can tell you what we've all been tweeting about -- and that's a pretty good barometer of what's on a lot of minds.
"From earthquakes and politics to pop stars and hash tags, Twitter Trends are a window into what the world is talking about," wrote Jodi Olson, a Twitter spokeswoman, in a blog post. "These Trends indicate the things that are most meaningful in our lives. Each day on Twitter, people tweet about news, sports, entertainment and cool new technology -- and everything else in between."
So what were the top things that people around the world were tweeting about in 2010? Here's what Twitter figured out:
The Gulf oil spill was the most tweeted about topic of the year, according to Olson. The top tweet topic corresponds to one of the most searched-for topics this year, as well.
Earlier this month, Yahoo reported that the Gulf oil spill was the most searched-for topic on all of its sites. People went online in droves to search for where to watch the live, online feed of the oil leak, efforts to cap the spill and to get information about the spill's environmental impact.
For Twitter, after BP's devastating oil spill, there was a wide-ranging mix of hot topics in '10 - a sporting event, a natural disaster, high-tech device and a celebrity that comes into play for the rest of the top 10 list.
The rest of the top 10 include the FIFA World Cup; inception; the earthquake in Haiti; the loud vuvuzelas played at the World Cup games; Apple's popular iPad; Google Android; teen heart throb Justin Bieber; Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows, and Pulpo Paul, the famous German octopus that seemed to predict the winner of each of Germany's seven matches in the 2010 World Cup.
Twitter also pulled out a list for the top 10 technology tweets for 2010:
- Apple iPad
- Google Android
- Apple iOS
- Apple iPhone
- Call of Duty Black Ops
- New Twitter
- MacBook Air
- Google Instant
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tweets about Ferguson, Mo., shooting show Twitter's quick grip on the news
- 5 Twitter clients for Linux
- Twitter brings the data back in-house with Gnip buy
- Twitter crashed -- again -- on Tuesday
- Twitter's slipping user growth spooks investors
- Get ready to tweet your questions for Twitter's first earnings call
- Super Bowl sets Twitter record, as Volkswagen launches social war room
- Perspective: Twitter's success opens up IPO pipeline
- Update: Twitter goes public at $45 a share
- With IPO cash influx, Twitter could be bigger threat to Facebook
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- Simple Solution, Big Capability Meet growing employee and business demands by connecting up to 1,000 users with powerful collaboration capabilities with a single, integrated platform -- Cisco...
- The DDoS Threat Spectrum Bolstered by favorable economics, today's global botnets are using distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks to target firewalls, web services, and applications, often simultaneously.
- Need to Replace MS Threat Management Gateway? Read this article to learn how F5's Secure Web Gateway solution provides a full set of features that can help you successfully migrate...
- The Shortfall of Network Load Balancing Applications running across networks encounter a wide range of performance, security, and availability challenges as IT department strive to deliver fast, secure access...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts