IDG News Service - Protesting what it perceives as Oracle's undue control of Java, the Apache Software Foundation has resigned its seat from the Java SE/EE Executive Committee, the organization announced Wednesday.
"The commercial concerns of a single entity, Oracle, will continue to seriously interfere with and bias the transparent governance of the ecosystem," an unsigned blog entry from the foundation states.
The entry also charged that JCP (Java Community Process) "is not an open specification process -- that Java specifications are proprietary technology that must be licensed directly from the spec lead under whatever terms the spec lead chooses."
Earlier this week, the Java Executive Committee had approved the specifications for Java SE (Standard Edition) 7 and Java SE 8. The ASF had stated that it would resign from the Java EC (Executive Committee) should the JCP pass Java 7 and Oracle not lift its restrictions placed on the Java Technology Compatibility Kit (TCK), which the ASF uses to test compliance of its own Apache Harmony open-source Java run-time against the Java standard. The restrictions bar the open-source software's use on mobile platforms.
The ASF sponsors more than 100 open-source projects that use or support Java in some form, including Apache Tomcat, Ant and Geronimo, Velocity. The organization did not specify if it plans to continue work on Harmony.
Oracle declined to comment.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Benefits of IBM: The Savings of Open Source Download Now
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- Building Tomorrow's Infrastructure Listen to this podcast to discover how Crider Foods worked with PC Connection to update their IT infrastructure, while maintaining compliance and control.
Enhance Your Virtualization Infrastructure With IBM and Vmware
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Virtualization technology is now expanding beyond the server compute elements to encompass networking and storage...
All Open Source White Papers |