8% of Americans use Twitter, Pew study says
Shocker: Most people tweet about themselves
Computerworld - Nearly one in 10 American adults who use the Internet are Twitter users.
That comes from a study released today by the Pew Research Center, which also noted that while 8% call themselves Twitter users, only a quarter of that number tweet generally every day.
The study also showed that 36% of U.S. Twitter users check what others are tweeting at least daily, sometimes many times a day. However, 41% said they check the site less than once every few weeks or not at all. The remaining quarter of users reported that they check in with Twitter either a few days a week or every few weeks.
So if the majority of Twitter users aren't bothering to check to see what other people are tweeting about, how often are they tweeting themselves?
The Pew study showed that 72% of Twitterers are posting tweets about their personal lives, and 19% added that they post personal updates once a day or more.
That echoes a Rutgers University study from about a year ago that showed that 80% of Twitterers are largely tweeting about themselves -- their activities, feelings, opinions and other personal information.
And 55% of those surveyed say they post links to news stories, with 12% saying they do that once a day.
Regardless of concerns about privacy, 24% say they tweet their location -- and 7% do so on a daily basis.
The survey comes nearly a year and a half after Pear Analytics LLC reported that its own survey showed that 40.55% of tweets are "pointless babble."
According to Pew, the study released this week is based on two different phone surveys - one conducted in October and one done in November. Between the two surveys, roughly 3,250 people were interviewed.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is email@example.com.
- Twitter's slipping user growth spooks investors
- Get ready to tweet your questions for Twitter's first earnings call
- Super Bowl sets Twitter record, as Volkswagen launches social war room
- Perspective: Twitter's success opens up IPO pipeline
- Update: Twitter goes public at $45 a share
- With IPO cash influx, Twitter could be bigger threat to Facebook
- Ahead of IPO, Twitter shines up multimedia image
- Twitter kicks off pre-IPO investor roadshow
- As its IPO looms, Twitter faces investor grilling
- Twitter experiments with 'Event Parrot' -- a news delivery service
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Face Time Anytime Real-time communications facilitates team collaboration from nearly anywhere in the world. With facts and figures you can use to justify an investment
- Riverbed Stingray Application Firewall: Securing Cloud Applications with a Distributed Web Application Firewall Responsibility over IT security is moving away from the network and IT infrastructure and to the application and software architecture itself. IT organizations...
- Now is the time to implement a video conference solution Video conferencing is getting a lot of buzz lately due to the recent cost decrease, making it tangible for many law firms. It's...
- Video drives engagement Achieving maximum results means building a solid platform and network infrastructure. As digital age unfolds, it's clear that the ability to communicate effectively...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts