Salesforce.com to buy Heroku, which hosts Ruby-based apps
IDG News Service - Salesforce.com said on Wednesday it will acquire Heroku, a company that specializes in hosting applications based on the Ruby programming language, for $212 million.
With the acquisition, online customer relationship management (CRM) specialist Salesforce.com said it will gain access to a large community of Ruby developers who are now using Heroku's multitenant platform.
Heroku offers its own data center for developers to upload and run their code, sparing them the trouble of buying and running their own hosting hardware. It can be used for the development, testing and production deployment of Web and enterprise applications. Other companies offer similar services.
Heroku's sells database services and processing power depending on how much performance the application developers want. The company calls it platform-as-a-service, and it is responsible for maintenance and quality of service.
The platform is built on Ruby, which Heroku maintains is one of the most popular languages used to build Web applications and those for mobile devices. So far, Heroku hosts some 105,000 applications, including those from companies such as Best Buy and Comcast.
Salesforce.com expects the deal to close at the end of January. While the deal won't affect Salesforce.com's fiscal fourth quarter results, it will reduce its non-GAAP earnings per share by 12 cents to 13 cents in the year ending Jan. 31, 2012, the company said.
- Five Steps to Achieve Success in your Application Security Program This white paper provides a general framework your organization can use to create or build upon an application security program. It includes guidelines...
- Unlock the Value of Enterprise Mobility Download this guide and learn how to manage the secure deployment of enterprise mobile apps and data, while still encouraging the levels of...
- Rebranded Quadmark revamps its IT solutions with Google Apps Switching to Google Apps halved Quadmark's IT admin costs while achieving 10% time savings per employee. The global consulting firm now spends 80%...
- Manufacturing Outlook: Improving time to market, operational effectiveness and innovation in a highly competitive environment An enterprise project portfolio management solution can help manufacturers position themselves in the new competitive landscape.
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts